Flashcards in Exam 1.2 Deck (13):
What are earths 3 main oceans?
Pacific, atlantic, Indian
How much of earths surface us covered by water?
What are the components of earth?
What is a solar system?
Planets revolving around the sun because of the sun's gravity
What is biosynthesis?
Evolution of living cells from early non-living cells
What did the Miller-Urey experiment indicate about the origin of life on earth?
- simulation of ancient of water cycle
- life doesnt have to come from other life, but can be created through biosynthesis
What were the sources of earths atmosphere?
- gases released from volcanoes and earths chemically active interior
How were oceans created?
- earth cooled and gases formed water
- bombardment by gasses
How does density stratification explain the layering of earth?
The core is the densest part of earth, the lower the layers, the higher the density
- light elements migrate to surface forming crust
- gravity pulls iron and nickel towards the core
How did the solar system form from a solar nebula?
Formed from interstellar dust and hydrogen gas. Planets began as dust grains in orbit around central protostar
What are the benefits of the ocean?
- moderates temperature
- provides food
- provides resources
- shipping and communication
Planets are formed by accretion. What is accretion?
Clumping a seed materials into larger masses