Flashcards in Exam 1.3 Deck (12):
Why is demand for resources increasing?
- population growth
- per person population demand
How much oil is left on earth?
1300 billion barrels of oil
What is the problem with overfishing?
- harvesting faster than the fish can reproduce
What is mariculture?
- farming of marine organisms
- mostly oysters and salmon
What is desalination?
- separation of pure water and sea water
What is the history of whaling?
- hunted since 1880s for meat, oil, bone, and baleen
- 1869 International Whaling Commisskon ban
- Japan and Norway continue whaling
What is marine pollution?
Introduction of a substance or energy that changes water quality or the environment
What causes marine pollution?
- oil discharges (oil rigs largest source)
- synthetic organic chemicals
- heavy metals (from mining)
- excessive algal growth cause by eutrophication
- plastics and solid waste
What is eutrophication?
Artificial enrichment of waters
What is biomagnification?
The concentration of toxins in an organism as a result of it ingesting plants or animals in which the toxins are more widely dispersed
Why is pollution costly?
- financial impacts of cleanups
- threatens marine life
- threatens food supply
- threatens public health