Flashcards in Exam #2: Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment Deck (19)
What is the purpose of the CGA?
- Prevent decline of ADLs & IADLs
- Screen for functional impairments
- Screen for preventable disease
What is the value of the CGA?
- Improves function
- Improves quality of life
- Decreases hospitalizations
List the members of the Geriatric Assessment Team.
- CMA/ Nurse
- Social Worker
- Students/ Residents
- Geriatrician/ Fellow
What are the components of the GCA?
- Medical assessment
- Assessment of Function
- Psychosocial Function
- Social assessment
- Environmental assessment
What are the elements of the medical assessment?
1) Problem list
2) Comorbid conditions
3) Medication review
4) Nutritional status
What are the elements of the functional assessment?
Gait & Balance
What are the elements of the psychosocial assessment?
Mood/ depression testing
What are the three parts of the overall CGA?
- History & Physical
- Assessment tools
What things are you looking for in the observation phase of the CGA?
- Did the patient fill out the health questionnaire?
- How did the patient walk to/get on the exam table
What are the four major IADLs?
How is dementia related to the IADLs?
These are a predictor of incident dementia
- More impairments= more likely to be demented
When is weight loss a red flag in the geriatric population?
>10% of body weight lost in the last six months
What is the get up and go test used for?
Evaluation of gait/ balance
How do you perform the Get up and Go test?
- Stand/ walk
- Return to sitting
*****Should take less than 20 seconds
What are the major things to keep in mind when performing a psychological assessment?
1) Look for atpyical presentation of depression
2) Ask about risk factors
3) Be sure to perform cognitive assessment
What is a good assessment tool for depression?
- Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS)
- Patient Health Questionnaire
*****GDS, normal is 0-5 & >5= depression
What are the different cognitive function assessment tools?
- Folstein mini-mental exam
- Montreal cognitive assessment
- Clock draw test
- Verbal Fluency
What is the Karnofsky scale?
Tool for assessing function