Flashcards in Factors affecting energy consumption Deck (13)
Name six factors affecting energy consumption
- Physical availability
- Economic development
- Environmental priorities
How is physical availability an important factor?
- Self-sufficient or reliance on imports?
- Transport costs increases pressure on consumption
- Exploitation method ease and expense
How is technology an important factor?
- Help access difficult resources
- Modern tech is very popular and energy thirsty
How is cost an important factor?
- Exploitation, processing and delivery
- Less cost more consumption
How is economic development an important factor?
- Cost in one country may be relatively expensive but not for another
- Public perception of expense depends on SoL and economic status
How is climate an important factor?
Increased consumption in areas of extreme weather e.g. North America and Australia
How is environmental priorities a factor?
- Concern for carbon emissions
- Cost of green energy may reduce consumption
Name the top six energy consumer countries
Name the top four coal producers
China, USA, India and Australia
Name the top four coal consumers
China, USA, Japan and South Africa
Describe the mismatch of coal
Production and consumption is small as China and USA are largest in both this reflects high transport cost and low energy density
Mismatch of oil:
- Over half production comes from (1) so there is a (2) mismatch between small (3) and large (4) in Europe as there is no substitute for transport
1 - OPEC and N. America
2 - large
3 - production
4 - consumption