Flashcards in FINAL! Deck (9):
1. Nicotine replacement
2. Buproprion - Zyban
3. Varenicline - Chantix
Transdermal patch for smoking
Does not address cravings
10/+ per day - 21 mg/day patch
<10/day - 14 mg/day
Taper dosing over time
How to use nicotine gum?
1. Chew until tingly/pepper taste
2. Place btwn cheek & tongue until tingling stops
How does buproprion work & who should not use it?
Antagonism of nicotinic acetylcholine recepotors
1. Recent/previous head trauma
2. Severe liver cirrhosis
3. CNS tumors
4. Use of drugs that lower the seizure threshold
Binds to alpha-4 beta-2 nicotinic receptors
1. Moderate withdrawal Sx
2. Reduced craving
3. Diminished psychological reward
CNS stimulants for wt loss?
1. Benzphetamine - Didrex
3. Methamphetamine - Desoxyn
4. Phendimetrazine - Bontril PDM
5. Phentermine - Adipex-P**
Works 4-6 wks
Wt loss supplement
Careful w/ serotonin syndrome, kidney & liver failure
HA, hypoglycemia in diabetics, back pain, URI inflammation
Cardiac valvular disease?
Which wt loss drug makes you shit your brains out?