Flashcards in Flight Instruments Deck (18):
The PFD displays?
1. Air Data: airspeed, altitude, Vertical speed
2. IRS Data: pitch, bank, slip/skid
3. RA: Radio Altimeter
What is green dot?
- 1.3 over shaker speed (40º bank)
- compensates for configuration and ice
- used for drift down
- ideal flap extension speed
- minimum / maneuvering speed
What consideration must be made for descent planning when indicating a strong tailwind in upper right hand corner of MFD?
- consider beginning descent EARLIER
- decrease descent angle
What are the different temperatures and speeds given on the MFD? What do they mean?
1. SAT - static air: temp of the air around the airplane (as if 1 were standing still or static)
2. TAT - total air: temp of the air experienced by the moving airplane. As the airplane moves through then air it is compressed and heated.
**Used for ICING Awareness**
- TAT is about 20ºC above SAT at M.80
3. TAS - True airspeed: Speed at which the airplane is moving relative to the air that surrounds it.
- Compared to release for for performance awareness
What are the default ADS reversions of the Air Data System?
1. CA PFD: defaults to ADS 1
2. FO PFD: defaults to ADS 2
3. ADS 3: dedicated backup
- If an ADS fails, the system automatically reverts to an AVAILABLE ADS. The backup system is the 1st priority for backup, then the cross-side ADS.
How many IRS's? What are they used for? How do they revert?
- 2 IRS's
- Provides attitude info on PFD
- CA: IRS 1, FO: IRS 2 - reversion is automatic.
- pressing IRS button forces reversion
With the new EPIC load how do we operate the Preview Needles?
- Automatically selected 150 miles from destination.
- Verify proper course with approach chart
- Manually selected with old EPIC load
How long does the IESS take to initialize?
- 90 seconds
- aircraft must remain stationary for proper calibration
What are the PBIT tests? When are they performed?
Power-Up Built-in Test
1. Electrical: performed whenever AC power is established to the aircraft
- Takes 3 min
a. Any Hyd pump turned on
b. Flight control mode buttons cycled
c. AC Power interruption
2. Hydraulic: performed when all 3 hydraulic systems pressurized.
- takes 1 min
a. Any flight control movement
- run on CA originating
What are the different flight control modes?
Normal: FCM's provide high level functions
- AOA limiting - shaker
- thrust compensation
- control laws: min deflection w/increased speed
- configuration change compensation: stable pitch w/speedbrake
- Spoiler deployment
Direct: FCM is bypassed and high level functions not available
How many Actuators available and active for the hydraulic systems?
Rudder, Left/Right Elevators:
- 2 actuators each
- powered by 2 different hydraulic systems
- 1 actuator active at a time (normally alternating each day) ON / STBY
What is a non-standard way to disconnect the AP?
1. AP button on guidance panel
2. Manual pitch trip switch
3. Stick shaker
4. Windshear Escape Maneuver
What is an Abnormal Disengagement of the AP? Meaning what would cause the AP to disconnect and EICAS message?
1. Reversion of the FBW to direct mode
2. Either aileron/elevator control system disconnected
3. Pilot input contrary to the AP made on controls w/a long time light force or short strong force
4. Internal monitor
What is ROLL mode?
basic lateral mode and does not provide any airplane guidance. Depending on airplane bank angle at moment of ROLL activation the AP will maintain the following bank angles:
• 6º and below= Level wings
• >6º<35º= holds present bank
• >35º= holds 35º
What is TRACK mode?
Used to intercept and maintain an inertial derived airplane track from the IRS. The mode used for TO and GA.
TO: >100kts, Bank <3º from more than 10s
GA: TOGA, till another lateral mode select
When does AT engage?
- No AT failure
- AT button pressed
- Thrust levers 50ºTLA
When does the Trust setting change to
- CLB, CRZ, GA, CON?
- LDG retracted
- above 400' AGL
- any change of flight FD vertical mode
- above 3000' with FD OFF
- airplane levels at selected ALT for 90sec
- LDG and flaps down
- during TO: @ 3000' Single Engine
- Anytime after: anytime SE exists TRS auto sets CON