Flashcards in Fungicides Deck (13)
Fungicides are chemicals used to prevent or treat what?
Fungal infections in plants
Do fungicides generally have a low or high toxicity to animals if properly used?
Generally low toxicity
What fungicide is used as a wood preservative to protect lumber from fungal rot and wood-boring insects?
What is the most toxic route of exposure of pentachlorophenol, especially for newborn animals?
What are 3 sources of pentachlorophenol?
- Inhalation of toxic amounts from treated walls in sheds and barns
- Licking wood treated with PCP
- Ingestion of contaminated feeds or water with spills of PCP
What is a chlorinated hydrocarbon insecticide and fungicide?
Is pentachlorophenol soluble in water?
- Water: Not very soluble
- Oils: Yes
- Organic solvents: Yes
Is pentachlorophenol volatile?
What can it give off?
- Toxic vapors in toxic concentration especially in high ambient temperature
Is pentachlorophenol stable in the environment?
- Not persistent in water, sewage or soil due to bacterial decomposition
Pentachlorophenol is irritating to what 3 areas of the body?
- Mucous membranes
- Respiratory tract
Older preparations of pentachlorophenol contained what which are carcinogenic and teratogenic?
The acute oral or dermal LD50 of pentachlorophenol in domestic animals ranges from what?
100 to 200 mg/kg