Flashcards in Hormones and Paracrine Mediators of the GI Tract Deck (12):
What are the functions of Gastrin?
1) stimulate parietal cells to increase H+ secretion
2) stimulate ECL cells to increase histamine secretion
3) increase growth of gastric mucosa
What are the functions of CCK?
1) Slow gastric emptying and H+ secretion
2) Decrease food intake
3) Increase pancreatic enzyme secretion
4) promote gall bladder contraction (to get more bile out)
What stimulates gastrin secretion?
small peptides and AAs
What stimulates CCK secretion?
fatty acids, hydrolyzed protein
Where is Gastrin produced?
Where is CCK produced?
I cells of duodenum
What is the stimulus for Secretin secretion?
H+ in duodenum
Where is Secretin produced?
S cells of duodenum
What is the primary function of Secretin?
increase pancreatic ductal secretion (which releases bicarb to neutralize the acid)
Where is Peptide YY produced?
L cells of intestine
What are the functions of Peptide YY?
1) Slow gastric emptying and acid secretion
2) decrease pancreatic secretion
3) decrease intestinal motility
4) decrease food intake
(similar to CCK)