Flashcards in Inflamation and repair Deck (11):
Name the steps of acute inflamation in order (1-5)
2. Endothelialcells retract
3. Excudation of plasma protein
4. Increased turnover of excudate
5. Neutrophils accumulate
Name the main causes of acute inflamation (1-5)
1. Infections (bacteria, virus)
2. Physical agents (trauma etc)
3. Tissue necrosis
4. Hypersensitivity reactions
5. Chemical agents (acid etc)
Name the stages of repair
1. Vascular granulation tissue
2. Fibrovascular granulation tissue
3. Collagen scar
What is VEGF in repair? and what does it stimulate?
Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor. It is released by fibrocytes, and stimulates angiogenesis.
What is angiogenesis's purpose in repair? And in what stage does this happen?
Growth of new capillary beds in the damaged area. This leads to more extracellular matrix. Happens in vascular granulation tissue phase.
What happens in repair, in the fibrovascular granulation tissue -stage?
Stops making new capillaries. Keeps making extracellular matrix (collagen, proteoglycans, gags)
What is a collagen scar?
The last step of repair. Too much matrix has been deposited in the last stage. Fibroblasts release MMPs. The capillary bed gets remodelled
What is the main effector cell in acute inflammation?
What is the main effector cell in chronic inflammation?
What are the two ways of chronic inflamation?
1. Reocurring damage trough persistent damaging stimulus
2. Autoimmune disease