Flashcards in Laboratory Medicine (Diagnostic Techniques) Deck (7)
List the reasons for requesting laboratory investigations
• To inform the clinical decision
• Confirmation or rejection of clinical diagnosis
• Natural history or response to treatment
• Prediction of course or outcome of the disease
List some individual laboratory medicine specialities
• Clinical Biochemistry
• Microbiology- diagnosis and monitoring response
• Histopathology / Cytopathology
Describe the essential information required when taking a sample from a patient
• Full ten digit CHI number
• Patient’s surname
• Patient’s forename
• Date of birth
• Specimen type
• Anatomical site
• Investigations required
• Date & time of collection
• Relevant clinical history
• Patient location
• Full name of requesting practitioner
• Contact details of practitioner
• Patient’s home address
• Laboratory specialty sample is being submitted
Why is the correct patient information required?
• It allows the laboratory to produce the right result, on the right patient, at the right time.
• Allowing clinicians to give the right treatment in a timely manner!
Describe the MDT approach involving laboratory medicine for patient care
• Medical staff at clinic
• Laboratory staff (Biochemistry, Genetics)
• Genetic counsellor
• Nurse specialist
What is POCT?
• POCT (point-of-care testing) is laboratory testing performed in the clinical setting by non-laboratory healthcare professionals.
• E.g. blood gases, urine dip sticks, blood glucose tests, urine analysis machines