Flashcards in lec 3: hort introduction Deck (21):
what is horticulture
- science and arts of cultivating fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants
who is theophrastus
"father of botany"
who is Andre le Notre
who is carolus linnaeus
- created binomial nomenclature
who is gregor mendel
- studied genetics - pea plants
who is Frederick Law Olmsted
- founder or American landscape architecture
-designed central park
what is pomology?
study fruit tree
what is olericulture
what is included included in ornamental horticulture
what is taxonomy?
- science of identifying, naming and classifying plants beyond superficial system
what is polynomial nomenclature
- many names, latin greek or combinations of both
what system does horticulture use for naming?
- binomial nomenclature
-genus and species
what provides guidelines for name standardization?
-International Code of Botanical Nomenclature
what are 2 division of kingdom plantae
1. bryophytes (non vasuclar plants) --> mosses ect
2. vascular plants (80%) ( 3 primary vegetative organs, conducting tissue, flower or non flowering)
variety vs cultivar
variety: naturally occuring variant of species
cultivar: human created cultivated variety
what plants are fabaceae
- legumes; 2 winged petals ie orchid
what plants are in Poaceae
what plants are Solanaceae
-nightshade, corolla ie petunias