Flashcards in Lecture 3: Technological Foundations and Modern IT Infra Deck (10):
What is Moore's Law?
- Chip performance per dollar doubles roughly every 18 months
- The complexity for minimum component costs has increased at a rate of roughly a factor of two per year
- Adapted to predict doubling every two years staring 1980
- Currently slowed down to doubling every 2.5 years
What are three chip based components?
- Random-access memory
- Flash or solid state drives
What are three mechanical (moving) components?
- Hard disk
- Disc drives
What is the evolution of IT hardware?
1. Mainframe era (1959)
2. Minicomputers (1965)
3. Personal computing (1981)
4. Client-server era (1983)
Client server model vs Peer to Peer
- Client server model distinguish between providers and requesters
- In P2P, participants are both suppliers and consumers of resources
What is the internet?
A decentralized system of networks that links devices around the glob and enables data transmission among them
What are common application transfer protocols?
What is TCP and IP
- TCP (transmission control protocol) slices data that is to be sent into packages
- IP routes these packages to the target computer
- TCP at target computer checks for completeness and reassembles packages
What are the advantages and disadvantages or cloud computing?
- Reduce upfront costs
- Increased flexibility for scaling
- May lead to higher long term costs
- Dependence on providers
- Moving legacy systems to cloud may be costly