Flashcards in Lecture 34 - Social media, crowd source funding monoaminergic neurons. Deck (9):
what are the ways of investigating the specific function of a brain nuclei or of sub-populations of neurons within a specific nuclei
Lesion brain regions (traditional) -
take out a region and look at effects.
But can damage other fibres of passage
- rod into the brain in which molecules can be delivered
- difficult to assess 'normal behaviour with chronic treatment
- don't know how far the drug is going though...
- region and cell type specific
-affected cells easily identifiable
What is a modified virus?
- ability to replicate is inhibited
- selected because of low immnogenicity (wo't cause inflammation)
specifically packaged genetic material
wide range of applications
(gene therapy, reasesrch)
What can be put in a viral vector?
What can be done with a viral vector?
chronic receptor (agonist or antagonist)
- put in receptor that are only activated by designer drugs (DREADDs)
- can look at parameters of what happens when activated
- very fast activation
- stimulated by LASER
- can see acute behavioural responses (anger)
What is scientific advocacy?
Australian acedemy of science - lobby groups
What is science communication?
visiting schools,community groups
articles for the public
What is science activism?
interactive - a conversation rather than a lecture
Why bother with social media?
passionate about a scientific topic
understand the community views on a topic