Flashcards in Lesson 11 Deck (10):
dwelling, dweller (n)
* cavelike dwellings have been discovered throughout the world.
* city dwellers often have trouble adjusting to life in the country.
* city dwellers are out of their element in the country.
* hard work and perseverance are the basic elements of success.
* mistakes must be eliminated before you hand in a term paper.
* the elimination of the runner from the race was decided by the judge.
(Sun emerged from behind a cloud.
flowers emerge in spring. )
* it took an hour for the newborn chick to merge from its egg.
* the sun emerged from the thick rain clouds, giving hope that the game would be played.
* the players encircled their coach after winning the big game.
* the encircled celebrity actually became afraid of her fans.
SYN overestimate, overstate, hyperbole
* the federal government exaggerated the successful of its programs.
* to say that his business is successful would be a slight exaggeration.
* the young boy could not justify his rude behavior.
* there was no justification for the criminal's attack.
* comfortable trade winds are in the Caribbean island.
* there is a prevalence of disease where poor sanitation conditions exist.
release (v) (n)
* a new movie was just released.
* the release of the Supreme Court's decision was expected today.