Flashcards in Lesson 2 Deck (43):
an easily observed property of matter (i.e. solid, liquid, or
According to the theory, all matter consists of extremely tiny particles
(atoms, molecules, or ions) that are in constant motion.
STATES OF MATTER AND KINETIC-MOLECULAR THEORY
properties can be observed by unaided human senses
imagination of how particles look like and how they fit
together to form molecules
symbols are used to represent observations
three (3) levels of matter
•has a set of unique properties by which it can be
• It cannot be separated into two or more different species by
physical technique at ordinary temperatures.
consists of two or more pure substances that can be
separated by physical techniques.
two (2) types of mixtures
uneven texture of the material can often be detected
by the naked eye.
consists of two or more substances in the same
phase. Also often called as solutions.
When a component is separated from its mixture, it said to be
Another type of mixture that has a homogeneous appearance is a
scattering of light by a colloidal dispersion
characteristic movement in which the particles
change speed and direction erratically
colloidal particles have uniform electrical
refers to the tendency of the colloidal system
to remain a true solution and the tendency of the colloid to be
coagulated by heating or by addition of an electrolyte.
Stability and unstability
colloidal particles are very good in attracting and
holding particles of other substances because of their large surface
Substances that are composed of only one type of atom are classified as
Substances that are composed of two or more different elements held together by chemical bonds are
referred to as
Composition of any compound is represented by its
Properties which can be observed and measured without changing the composition of a
State of Matter
depend on the amount of a substance present
do not depend on the amount of substance but depends only on the type
•Changes in physical properties of a substance.
• The identity of a substance is preserved even though it may have changed its physical state
or the gross size and shape of its pieces.
• Does not results in a new chemical substance being produced.
• The particles (atoms, molecules, or ions) present before and after the change are the same.
One or more substances (the reactants) are transformed into one or more different substances (the
Defined as the capacity to do work.
is energy associated with motion, such as:
• Motion of atoms, molecules, or ions at the particulate level (thermal
• Motion of macroscopic objects (mechanical energy)
• Movement of electrons in a conductor (electrical energy)
• Compression and expansion of the spaces between molecules in
the transmission of sound (acoustic energy)
results from an object’s position or state and
• Energy possessed by a held above the floor and by water at the
top of a water wheel (gravitational energy)
• Energy stored in a extended spring
• Energy stored in fuels (chemical energy)
• Energy associated with the separation of electrical charges
states that energy can neither be
created nor destroyed or the total energy of the universe is constant.
Law of Conservation of Energy
• The process of separating a liquid from a solid by allowing the solid to settle at the bottom of
the container and then pouring off the clear liquid carefully, leaving the solid in the container.
Decantation solid part
Decantation liquid part
The process of separating a solid from a liquid by allowing the liquid to pass through a porous
medium suchas a filter paper.
The solid that is retained on the filter paper is called the
and the liquid that passes
through the filter paper is called the
The process of separating a solid from a liquid by boiling off the liquid, leaving the solid in the
the evaporated liquid is called the
Evaporation solid part is called the
The process that occurs when a substance accumulates on the surface of a solid, forming a
film of atoms or molecules
The solid to which the material is adsorbed is known as the
and the material that is
adsorbed is called the