Flashcards in Lesson 29 Deck (14):
* he acquired two beautiful paintings during his visit to Taipei.
* the office's most recent acquisition was a new photocopier.
* the United States has assimilated people from all parts of the world.
* assimilation of a new cultural environment can be difficult.
SYN selection, classification
* you have an assortment of elective courses from which to choose.
* you bought a box of assorted books at the book fair.
(the high caliber of her work)
* the high caliber of her work earned her a rise in pay.
* only parts of the highest caliber can be used to make repairs on the spacecraft.
* this is a condensed version of the original research report.
* try to condense the two chapters into one.
(it is contradictory to say that)
* it is contradictory to say that you know French after studying it for only three months.
* the expert contradicted himself during his presentation.
* they disregarded the no parking signs and were ticketed by the police.
* his disregard of the lab instructions caused him to make many errors.
* this golden ring is my most precious possession.
* the precious stone was one of a kind.
* their talent for locating oil deposits made them prominent geologists in the corporation.
* he gained prominence through his television appearances.
(n) requisition, requirement
* here is the list of requisite courses for the master's degrees in biology.
* the project team made a requisition for a new set of references books.
* the detective was not able to unravel the mystery of the missing money.
* the unraveling of the Soviet Union took place in the span of a few months.
* she has only vague memories of her childhood.
* the vagueness of his directions caused us to get lost.
(volume of traffic, information)
* the volume of information that a flash drive can hold is astounding.
* this voluminous report will erase your doubt the financial condition of the company.