Flashcards in Lombos - Juvenile Law Deck (13):
511) All juveniles fall under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court system. However, juveniles under the age of ________ are presumed incapable of criminal intent.
512) When you take a minor who is __________ years of age or older into temporary custody for any felony or attempted felony listed in subdivision (b) of section 707, or in which the minor used a firearm, you must take the minor to the probation officer of the county where he was taken into custody, or where the minor resides, or where the crime occurred.
513) Whenever a minor who has been held in custody for more than _________ hours by the probation officer is subsequently released and no petition is filed, the probation officer shall prepare a written explanation of why the minor was held in custody for more than _______ hours. The written explanation shall be prepared within 72 hours after the minor is released from custody and filed in the record of the case. A copy of the written explanation shall be sent to the parents, guardian, or other person having care or custody of the minor."
514) With some exceptions, whenever a minor is taken into custody by a peace officer or probation officer, the minor must be released within ________ hours, excluding nonjudicial days, unless a petition or criminal complaint has been filed, or the minor has been ordered detained.
515) when a _________ or _______ is going to be held in custody, the arresting officer shall notify the juvenile's parents or guardian immediately. After being taken to a place of confinement (e.g., juvenile hall), within an hour the juvenile must be advised that he or she may call (1) a parent, guardian, other relative, or employer and (2) an attorney and must be allowed to do so. In the case of "_________" the same requirements apply regarding notification of parents and allowing the minor (if at least 10 years old) to make two telephone calls.
516) Note: Under Penal Code section 851.5, all arrested persons have the right to make ________ completed telephone calls.
517) new requirements became effective mandating video-recording of a custodial interrogation of a minor suspected of ________ (or certain adults who committed the murder while still a minor) when the interrogation takes place in a "fixed place of detention."
518) Any pupil subject to compulsory full-time education or to compulsory continuation education who is absent from school without valid excuse ________ full days in one school year or tardy or absent for more than any 30-minute period during the school day without a valid excuse on three occasions in one school year, or any combination thereof, is a truant and shall be reported to the attendance supervisor or to the superintendent of the school district."
519) A "habitual truant" is a student reported as truant _______ or more times per school year. (Ed. Code, §48262.)
520) A "chronic truant" is a student who is "absent from school without a valid excuse for ____ or more of the schooldays in one school year."
521) "Child abuse or neglect" generally falls within the following four categories: (a) neglect, including extreme neglect amounting to endangerment, (b) physical __________, c) mental abuse, and (d) _________ abuse.
523)Group Homes- When investigating child abuse in group homes, two interviews must be conducted: The first is with the reporting party; the second with the ________.