Flashcards in March 24, 2015 --> Proteins/Amino acids (191-207) Deck (26):
Name the essential amino acids
Pneumonic for remembering essential amino acids
any Help in Learning T-These Little Monsters Proves Valuable
Amino acids are used for what 3 major purposes?
1. They are substrates for the generation of metabolic energy
2. They are substrates for protein synthesis
3. They are substrates for the synthesis of many products including heme, purines, pyrimidines etc.
Name the Ketogenic amino acids
Why are ketogenic amino acids named as such?
They are degraded entirely or in part to acetoacetyl-CoA and/or Acetyl-CoA can yield ketone bodies in the liver.
Which amino acids are both ketogenic and glucogenic?
Which amino acids are PURELY ketogenic
What reaction occurs to make a peptide bond?
Is a peptide bond a cis or trans bond? Is it charged or uncharged?
- Uncharged but POLAR
Glutamate is the precursor of what amino acids?
Serine is the precursor of what amino acids?
Glycine and Cysteine
Aspartate is the precursor of what amino acids?
Pyruvate gives rise to what four amino acids?
Oxaloacetate gives rise to what amino acid?
3-Phosphoglycerate gives rise to what amino acid?
alpha-ketoglutarate gives rise to what amino acid?
Ribose-5-phosphate gives rise to what amino acid?
Chorismate gives rise to what 3 amino acids?
The polypeptide subunit of elastin fibrils is?
What enzyme is required for the synthesis of elastin as well as of collagen?
- Collagen and Elastin both contain covalent crosslinks that are derived from allysine
The covalent crosslinks of elastin are similar to those of collagen except for what?
Desmosine, which is present in elastin but not collagen
Name the basic amino acids?
- Carry a positive charge on the side chain
Name the acidic amino acids
- Have a carboxyl group in side chain that is negatively charged at pH 7
Name the aromatic amino acids
Tyrosine is formed from what?
Phenylalanine which is an essential amino acid