Flashcards in MUSC 323 - Led Zeppelin Deck (18):
Distinguishing musical features: "I Can't Quit You Baby”
1. 12-bar blues form
2. "Dialogue" between vocal and guitar
Distinguishing musical features: "Since I've Been Loving You”
1. No repeated lines in verse
2. Classic blues-based guitar solo
Distinguishing musical features: "Dazed and Confused”
2. Use of violin bow
Distinguishing musical features: "Whole Lotta Love”
1. Psychedelic middle section
Distinguishing musical features: "Ramble On"
1. Folk verse and rock chorus
Distinguishing musical features: "Black Dog"
1. Rhythmic play
2. Complex riff
Distinguishing musical features: "Stairway to Heaven"
1. Multi-part form
2. Ambiguous lyrics
At its minimum, a rhythm section has what three constituent parts?
1. One chord Instrument
2. One bass Instrument
3. One percussion Instrument
12-bar blues (standard) form: what is the standard meter (quality and number of beats per bar), and how many different lines of text exist in a single verse?
Standard Meter: Compound; 4 beats (per bar), with backbeat on 2 and 4.
Number of Lines: 3 lines
What are the four musical features of psychedelia?
1. Wordless singing and/or chanting of nonsense syllables
2. Highly distorted and surreal sounds
3. Sound effects
Provide definitions for rhythmic play and progressive rock
Rhythmic play: Any conscious or unconscious manipulation of general rhythmic expectations and/or musical form.
Progressive rock: The marriage of rock with musical styles and attributes from classical music.
Name the four members of Led Zeppelin, plus their instruments
1. Jimmy Page: Guitar
2. Robert Plant: Lead vocals
3. John Paul Jones: Keyboards, Bass guitar
4. John Bonham: Drums
According to Page, name two elements that contribute to capturing a dynamic performance [on tape] (capture the natural sound of the instruments)
1. Mic drums like a proper acoustic instrument in a good acoustic environment.
2. Should not really have to use a EQ in the studio, as the effect should be done with microphones and microphone placement. The instruments should bleed into each other (which creates the ambience).
How long during the performance of “Dazed and Confused” does Jimmy Page use a violin bow? (minutes and/or seconds)
Almost 4 minutes
Distinguishing musical features: "The Crunge"
1. Funk inspired
2. Additive meter
Distinguishing musical features: "Kashmir"
1. Middle-eastern inspire guitar tuning and melody
2. Different simultaneous meters
Distinguishing musical features: "All My Love"
1. Verse-chorus form
2. Middle section with synthesizer and classical guitar