Flashcards in Neurological Stroke & Parkinson's Deck (4)
41. A client is being monitored for transient ischemic attacks. She is oriented, can open her eyes spontaneously, and follows commands. What is her Glasgow Coma Scale score?
42. The nurse is teaching a client about taking prophylactic warfarin sodium (Coumadin). Which statement indicates that the client understands how to take the drug? Select all that apply.
1. The drug's action peaks in 2 hours'
2. Maximum dosage is not acheived until 3 to 4 days after starting medication.
3. Effects of the drug continue for 4 to 5 days after discontinuing the medication
4. Protamine sulfate is the antidote for warfarin
5. I should have my blood levels tested periodically.
43. Regular oral hygeine is essential for the client who has had a stroke. Which of the following nursing measures is not appropriate when providing oral hygiene?
1. placing the client on the back with a small pillow under the head.
2. keeping portable suctioning equipment at the bedside
3. opening the client's mouth with a padded tongue blade
4. cleaning the client's mouth and teeth with a toothbrush.