Flashcards in New Deal Deck (7)
Why did Business men and republicans oppose the new deal?
* Too many pointless job (I.e. Pigeon scarring)
* Government behaving like Socialists (Too much control)
* Too many codes and regulations
* People were becoming lazy and not being rugged individualists.
* High taxes discouraged rich from working hard
* New deal agencies like TVA crushed small businesses/enterprises.
Why did Huey long oppose the New Deal?
Long wanted a "share our wealth scheme" which reduced personnel fortunes to US$3ml
Why did Dr Francis Townsend oppose the New Deal?
Townsend wanted $200 pensions per months as long as money had to be spent to stimulate the Economy
Why did Father Coughlin oppose the New Deal?
Coughlin used a radio broadcast to attack FDR setting up his National Union for Social Justice.
Why did the Supreme Court oppose the New Deal?
* Most powerful opponent
* Closed down AAA, NRA & PWA due to they were undermining laws
* FDR outraged that court threatened to add 6 more judges who wouln't support him
How many homes had radios in 1939?