Flashcards in OP - CLASS #10 - Week of 120114AUC 207 (Add #7 – 20), FFP – PD’s Sec. #1 - 5, TB – Apparatus L-7, Evol. #23, 24, 33, 33A & 34, Instructor Instincts Instructor BC Gene DiTaranto Deck (64):
1) You are a Ladder Officer arriving on scene at a 3rd alarm / 10-76 office building fire on the 25th floor of a 50 story building. The IC orders you to the top 5 floors to assist with searches being supervised by Battalion 2 (the Search and Evacuation Group Supervisor - SAE). As you proceed to the Portable Command Post (PCP) to insure the aide is properly reflecting your assignment on the PCP you notice a magnet with a number above the Battalion 2 (unit identifier) magnet on the PCP and another magnet with another number below the Battalion 2 (unit identifier) magnet on PCP. Which magnet answers your question (in your mind) about which HT channel to use in order to communicate with Battalion 2? (T.B Tools 22, section 6.3)
A) The magnet above Battalion 2‘s (unit identifier) magnet on the board.
B) The magnet below Battalion 2‘s (unit identifier) magnet on the board.
C) Both A and B
D) Neither A and B
2) According to AUC 159 the Reconnaissance Team’s mission is to provide information to the Branch Director/Deputy Chief, including locations of victims and resources necessary for rescue during a hurricane and severe storm emergencies. Please choose an incorrect item from the list below in regards to these Recon Teams? (AUC 159, section 5.4.1)
A) These teams should not engage in extrication/rescue activity. Reconnaissance is triage, not rescue.
B) These teams should be comprised of 2-4 members each, who are both mobile, yet inconspicuous to the general public.
C) These teams should travel light in order to cover as much ground as possible within their allotted time frame.
D) These teams should be capable of moving about their assigned area via land only.
3) During a hurricane or a severe storm driving through standing water should be done cautiously, considering the depth of the water is unknown and hazards may be hidden below the surface which can damage the apparatus. The depth of the water to be crossed should not exceed 18” for first line apparatus, and ______ for FDNY Hi-Axle vehicles. Please fill in the blank? (AUC 159, section 5.4.3)
4) During a severe storm, units should not be committed to dewatering operations EXCEPT in the following cases:
A) Where lives are endangered, such as, but not limited to; hospitals, nursing homes, and similar type occupancies.
B) Where failure to dewater creates a minor fire hazard, such as; flood or rising water in close proximity to live electrical equipment or service, which can be disconnected safely.
C) Where any property damage can be averted with an unreasonable commitment of resources.
D) Where minor traffic problems can be alleviated by immediately beginning the dewatering of major streets and highways that have been flooded by the storm.
Please choose the correct item from the list above? (AUC 159 add # 9, section 2.3)
5) You are the first due Ladder Company Officer at a fire in a High Rise Office Building. Upon your arrival at the lobby fire command station you are met by the Fire Safety Director. As a sharp fire officer you inquire about the HVAC system, it should be noted that the Battalion Chief has not arrived yet. You would know to take which step below in regards to the HVAC strategic operating plan? (High Rise Office Buildings, section 3.3)
A) Determine the status of all HVAC systems in the building. Any systems that have not been automatically shut down shall be manually shut down.
B) In some systems, the smoke detectors only shut down the return fans and allow the supply air fans to remain operating. The supply fans will have to be shut down manually.
C) Only HVAC systems affecting the fire area shall be placed in a non-circulating mode by; opening all outside air supply dampers, closing all mixing dampers, opening all exhaust dampers.
D) After the fire floor has been adequately determined, all HVAC zones that do not include the fire area shall have their supply and return fans activated.
6) You would know as a sharp Fire Tech student that it would be correct to transmit which radio code from the list below for a confirmed United States Postal Service Bio-detection system activation? (Haz-Mat 14, section 6.2 & 14a1, section 1.1)
B) 10-80 code 1
C) 10-80 code 2
D) 10-80 code 3
7) Company commanders shall be responsible for the semi-annual inspection of hydrants in their administrative districts as follows; in the fall of each year, during the months of September through November, each hydrant shall receive a complete inspection. In the spring of each year, during the months of April through June, ____________ of the total hydrants in a unit’s district shall receive a complete inspection. Please fill in the blank? (Regulations 28, section 28.1.4)
A) twenty five percent
B) twenty percent
C) thirty five percent
D) fifty percent
8) Evacuation stairway doors in a High Rise Fire Proof Multiple Dwelling need to be maintained in a closed position during a fire condition. From the list below please choose the only correct procedure in this situation? (MD, section 6.15.2)
A) The 2nd ladder company officer shall confirm the evacuation stairway door(s) have been closed on the fire floor and are maintained in a closed position.
B) Maintaing the evacuation doors closed may be accomplished by positioning members on the hallway side of the evacuation stairway door(s).
C) Until the Fire Sector Supervisor and/or the IC deems that the situation no longer presents a hazard in that particular stairwell members should maintain their positions at the evacuation stairwell doors.
D) There may not be more than one evacuation stairway in a building.
PART II - AUC 207, ADDENDUM'S 7 TO 20:
1) You are discussing “Light Train” procedures at a multi unit drill (MUD) when you make the following statements. From the list below please choose the incorrect statement about “Light Train” procedures that you made at MUD? (Add # 7, section 2)
A) FD Units should not enter the track area from the "Light Train" unless power has been removed.
B) If necessary to disembark the "Light Train", a Handi-Talkie equipped member shall be assigned to remain with the Train Operator to maintain communications.
C) Progress reports from the "Light Train" shall be transmitted as soon as possible, but at least once every 15 minutes.
D) A "Light Train" shall not travel past the next station without the permission of the Company Officer aboard the light train.
2) Please choose the correct subway tunnel evacuation procedure from the list below? (Add # 8, section 5)
A) Whenever evacuation or removal of passengers from a train to the track bed is contemplated, the power shall be ordered off, this is not necessary if the passengers are removed via the bench-wall.
B) The evacuation of passengers from under-river tubes should take place away from any fan operated in the supply mode.
C) The ventilation fans of under-river tubes are reversible, that is, capable of being operated in either the supply or exhaust mode and are located at both ends of the tube.
D) The track bed is not acceptable for evacuation of passengers due to its potential hazards.
3) All fire teams applying water with hand-held fog nozzles at a fire in an Amtrak train should take advantage of the reach of the fog stream and observe a minimum approach distance of ______ to catenary wires, after the Dispatcher informs the Incident Commander that Amtrak is advising that phase 1 of power removal and grounding is complete. Please fill in the blank? (Add # 9, section 3.2 & add #9b, section 2)
A) 4 feet
B) 8 feet
C) 10 feet
D) None of the above
4) You are the first due Engine Officer operating at a fire in a subway station that has sound-powered phones and a dry standpipe system. Please choose the most correct procedure from the list below when utilizing sound-powered phones and a dry standpipe system? (Add # 10, section 3)
A) Any firefighter who recognizes that the involved station is served by a dry standpipe system shall relay this information back to the Incident Commander and the Engine Officer only.
B) Units equipped with sound-powered phones shall bring a telephone handset, a 1620 key, and a subway emergency exit key to the station platform level.
C) The standard handi-talkie relay procedure for communicating during subway emergencies can be replaced by sound-powered telephones.
D) All of the above.
5) You just operated at a train incident where the Emergency Evacuation Device (EED) was used to assist with the evacuation of passengers from a disabled train on a subway track. Please choose the correct way(s) the Emergency Evacuation Device can be used? (Add # 11, section 5)
A) When passengers are being evacuated to the roadbed, the EED is positioned with the cut out against the edge of the car floor with the step side down.
B) The ladder provides a safe angle for most ambulatory passengers to descend, however personnel must be assigned to both the top and the bottom of the ladder.
C) The EED cannot be used as an evacuation stair to access the platform level from the roadbed.
D) When a rescue train is used, the EED can be positioned step side up, to form a bridge between two adjacent cars.
6) You are responding as the first due ladder company for an “AirTrain” incident on the guideway above the Van Wyck Expressway. You would know that all of the procedures below should be followed except one, please choose the exception? (Add # 12, section 11)
A) The primary means of accessing the guideway shall be via the nearest overpass.
B) The placing of an apparatus alongside a high-speed roadway for access to the guideway will sometimes require the complete closing of the roadway, units should use discretion based on traffic patterns.
C) Units shall request the immediate response of the police, to assist with traffic control, for all AirTrain incidents/emergencies that are reported between stations.
D) The Port Authority Police shall be requested when these incidents/emergencies are on JFK property, and the NYC Police shall be requested when these incidents/emergencies are located off of JFK property.
Always require complete closing of roadway
FALL 2014 – Class #10 ©Copyright 2014 Fire Tech Promotion Courses, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
7) At a multi unit drill you are discussing how members may encounter dead spots in subway repeater coverage. You mention that prior to abandoning the use of the repeater channel, members shall:
A) Return to a safe location where previous communications were successful.
B) If communications are successful on the repeater after returning to a safe location, report the “dead spot” to the Incident Commander.
C) If communications are unsuccessful after returning to a safe location, use H/T relay (Channel 1) to report the repeater failure to the Incident Commander.
D) All of the above.
Please choose the most correct answer from the list above? (Add # 16, section 5.2)
8) The Fire Department unit experiencing a problem with the NYC Transit repeater system shall notify the ________________________. Please fill in the blank? (Add # 16, section 6)
B) Fire Prevention
C) Borough Communications Office
D) Citywide Communications Office
9) One wheel is provided with a wheel lock (slide bolt) on the Nolan Rail Cart. A ______________ is painted on the surface corner of the rail cart to denote the location of the wheel lock. Once assembled, the member can use the wheel lock to secure the rail cart from rolling. Please fill in the blank? (Add # 19, section 3.6)
A) blue rectangle
B) red square
C) green triangle
D) yellow circle
10) Please choose an incorrect Nolan Rail Cart procedure from the list below? (Add # 19, section 4.2,
A) When ordered to deploy the rail cart, the Chief Officer in charge shall determine the best access point and order the members to transport the rail cart to the scene using the hand truck.
B) Company Commanders shall ensure that all members are familiar with the storage and operation of rail carts.
C) Company Commanders shall establish schedules to ensure that the carts are inspected periodically.
D) Any engine company may be special called to transport a rail cart from the quarters where it is stored to the scene of an incident.
11) Please choose an incorrect Nolan Rail Cart deployment procedure? (Add # 19, section 4)
A) Every effort should be made to keep the rail cart packaged together. Individual components from the hand truck cannot be separated.
B) Rail carts cannot be moved both ways on the same tracks simultaneously.
C) Avoid allowing equipment to extend beyond the sides of the cart to prevent contact with tunnel walls or the third rail.
D) When there is a heavy load or when used on a steep grade, the cart should be pushed by or pulled by two (2) or more members.
12) Please choose an incorrect item from the list below about AirTrain blue light station power removal boxes/procedures? (AUC 207 add # 12, section 6)
A) Blue Light Station Power Removal Boxes are located every 800 feet along the guideway.
B) In a life-threatening situation where the Blue Light Station Power Removal Box has been activated, one handi-talkie equipped member must remain at the Blue Light Station Power Removal Box to insure that the power remains off.
C) The activation of a Blue Light Station Power Removal Box for a life-threatening situation requires the Incident Commander to request power removal through the JFK Air Train Control Desk.
D) Once a power removal button has been activated, power can only be restored by AirTrain personnel.
13) You are conducting a drill on transit operations when the installation of Single Exit Station Stickers comes up in conversation.You mention that these stickers are used on all of the entrances to subway stations that have only one means of egress by which passengers can exit the station to the street. You then go on to make additional statements, please choose the incorrect statement that you made about these stickers? (Add # 17)
A) These stickers will be provided for any station where the egress from the platform area is restricted to only one end of the station platform.
B) There may be multiple stairway entrances leading to the street, from the end of the platform that provides egress.
C) The Incident Commander of an operation must ensure that these platform areas, which do not provide egress at both ends of the platform, are inspected thoroughly.
D) The sticker is an 8” x 8” black pictorial with a yellow background. It is located on the station entrance signs at platform level.
BONUS CAPTAIN’S QUESTION: (See slide # 1 in order to answer this question)
14) As a company officer it is your responsibility to ensure that the names of eligible firefighters are provided to the Battalion, in order to fill vacancies in units if overtime (MSOT) will be ordered. From the list below please choose the one firefighter who is eligible to work MSOT on the 6x9 tour tonight? (PA/ID 5-74, section 21. & 2.2)
A) Derek Jeter is one of your senior firefighters and is working his second day tour, however he is 75 hours over the Battalion average based on the current printout.
B) A-Rod is below the Battalion average by 45 hours, working a mutual today and due in tomorrow for his regular day tour.
C) McCann is available from home and at the Battalion average based on the current printout. He is available tonight because he his off on a self-mutual for the 6x9 tour.
D) McCarthy is 65 hours over the Battalion average based on the current printout and has not worked any additional tours since the current printout.
E) Robertson is 50 hours over the Battalion average based on the current printout and has worked two day tours since the current printout.
PART III - PRIVATE DWELLINGS CHAPTERS 1 TO 5:
1) Private dwelling fires challenge the expertise of firefighting forces and require a coordinated team operation. A significant number of all fire deaths occur in private dwellings. Please choose an incorrect general description from the list below in regards to private dwellings? (Chapter 1, section 2.1)
A) Originally built for one or two family occupancy, these structures are usually one to three stories in height.
B) It is not unusual to find more than two families living in these types of structures. Private Dwellings may be attached, semi-attached or detached.
C) The interior of split level homes may have as many as six levels within a three-story building.
D) An open and unenclosed stairway is the major weakness from a firefighting and fire protection standpoint.
The interior of split level homes however, may have as many as five levels within a three-story building.
2) Please choose an incorrect general description from the list below in regards to private dwellings? (Chapter 1, section 2.2)
A) Private Dwellings are generally rectangular in shape although alterations and extensions are common. They average approximately 20'x40'.
B) Private Dwellings can be of Class 4 (Frame) construction with exterior walls of wood covered with brick veneer, stucco, asbestos shingles, vinyl or aluminum siding.
C) Private Dwellings can also be of Class 3 (NFP) construction with brick exterior walls.
D) Fire stopping is limited depending on the type of construction.
E) Newer construction is commonly found to be of lightweight materials, however this is only found in Class 4 construction.
3) Please choose an incorrect description about specific types of Private Dwellings constructed within the City of New York? (Chapter 1, section 3)
A) Straight line colonials are commonly constructed using balloon framing. The side door generally gives access to the kitchen and to the cellar stairway in straight line colonials.
B) The presence of dormers usually increases the likelihood of 2nd floor bedrooms in a wide line cape style house. The easiest exterior access to these 2nd floor bedrooms, via portable ladders, is through windows that are found on the exposure 2 & 4 sides of the house.
C) Flat roof private dwellings may be found isolated, attached in pairs, or attached in a row occupying an entire block. Many attached private dwellings were built with firewalls that can be relied on.
D) The overall size of Queen Anne private dwellings range from 2-1⁄2 to 3-1⁄2 stories in height, 25 to 30 feet in width, and 30 to 50 feet in depth.
4) You are the first due truck officer operating at a fire on the first floor of a straight line colonial private dwelling. You hear over the HT that your OV is about to VEIS a single offset window on the exposure four side. Upon your initial size-up you remember seeing a stoop at a secondary entrance on the exposure four side. Your Irons firefighter has reported to you that the stoop on the exposure four side leads to a secondary staircase. You should call your OV via the handi-talkie and provide which order from the list below? (Chapter 1, section 4)
A) Hold off on VEIS from that particular window.
B) VEIS that window as quick as you can, I am getting reports of someone trapped on the second floor.
C) VEIS that window after the second hose-line is stretched to the second floor.
D) Before you VEIS that window make sure you team up.
5) You are conducting a drill with your unit and the discussion revolves around attic stairs found in private dwellings. Please choose the incorrect discussion item from the list below in regards to private dwelling attic stairs? (Chapter 1, section 4)
A) In some private dwellings the stairs to the attic or third floor are found behind a small door resembling a closet door.
B) Access may also be found in a bedroom closet with no ladder provided.
C) In other homes, access to the attic is via a pull down type stairs with a rope attached for ease of use.
D) Any type of attic stair should not be used for attic access or line advancement. A portable ladder should be used instead.
6) Private dwellings are intended to be occupied by one or two families. They are often illegally converted into SRO’s or multiple dwellings with the possibility of living areas found in cellars and/or attic areas. Possible indications of multiple families may be: Please choose the correct item(s) from the list below? (Chapter 2, section 2.4)
A) The number of electric meters, several mailboxes.
B) Fire escapes, multiple entrance doors.
C) Numerous cars in the driveway.
D) Interior cellar/basement entrance.
E) Garage doors removed and replaced with a normal entrance door.
6. A, B, C, E
7) You are the first due truck officer at a fire in a modern three family multiple dwelling with three separate entrances and no common areas. You would know to utilize which FDNY tactics from the list below? (Chapter 2, section 2.4)
A) Ladders 3 tactics
B) Brownstone tactics
C) Private Dwelling tactics
D) Row frame tactics
8) You are conducting an inspection on a building exactly like the one in question 7, you would know that after your inspection you should change the status of this building in the risk based inspection system (RBIS) to which status listed below? (BISP Manual chapter 2, section 2.7.1)
A) Building Not Found
C) Temporarily unoccupied
D) Private Dwelling
9) Please choose the correct Private Dwelling description / tactic from the list below? (Chapter 2, section 2.6, 2.7, and 2.8)
A) Open joist construction of cellar ceilings increases the potential for the rapid spread of heat, smoke and fire. Closed lightweight construction (with a sheetrock ceiling) will lead to early collapse.
B) If the upper floor windows are inaccessible, or cannot be entered due to their size or construction, the Incident Commander shall be notified and those rooms will have to be searched by another ladder company.
C) The lack of windows on the side of a PD combined with a secondary entrance on that side of the house with a stoop is indicative of a possible second floor apartment.
D) Members have to exercise caution when using porch and garage roofs constructed of aluminum or similar lightweight materials in order to conduct operations.
E) Windows with sills that are approximately chest high may require a drop of 2-3 feet to floor level.
10) Please indicate if you agree or disagree with the below statement? (Chapter 2, section 2.8)
“Outside ladder company positions at a private dwelling fire are predicated on whether the roof is flat or peaked. This information must be transmitted with the signal 10-75, if this can be determined upon arrival.”
A) Agree or D) Disagree
11) You are the first due engine officer at a one bedroom fire on the second floor of a peaked roof private dwelling with window bars. You would be most correct to transmit which radio code from the list below? (Safety Bulletin 84, section 4)
A) Second alarm with an extra engine and ladder company.
C) 10-75 with an extra engine and ladder company.
D) None of the above.
11) You are the first due engine officer at a one bedroom fire on the second floor of a peaked roof private dwelling with window bars. You would be most correct to transmit which radio code from the list below? (Safety Bulletin 84, section 4)
A) Second alarm with an extra engine and ladder company.
C) 10-75 with an extra engine and ladder company.
D) None of the above.
13) Some possible indications of a private dwelling cellar fire are listed below, please choose the incorrect indicator? (Chapter 3, section 2.2)
A) Fire or smoke venting from a cellar window.
B) Smoke pushing from the chimney (especially during warmer weather).
C) High heat and heavy smoke with no visible fire on the first floor.
D) Very hot floorboards on the 1st floor or smoke showing from baseboard areas on the first floor.
E) Smoke from attic windows or louvered vents (especially in older homes with platform construction).
14) The Incident Commander (Chief or Company Officer) should consider ordering an exterior hose-line operated into a private dwelling cellar window to allow for a quick knockdown when there will be a delay in applying water from the interior or whenever fire conditions dictate. Some examples are as follows: Please choose the incorrect example from the list above? (Chapter 3, section 2.6)
A) Unable to quickly access or locate a secondary cellar entrance and unable to advance down the interior cellar stair.
B) At a cellar fire involving open (no sheetrock) joist construction.
C) At a serious or advanced cellar fire.
D) Unable to locate any cellar entrance.
15) You are a Captain working in Engine 100 when you respond to a cellar fire in a 2 story flat roof private dwelling. The fire building is attached to similar private dwellings on both the exposure two and four sides, the fire building is in the middle of the block. CIDS information indicates that the building was constructed with lightweight construction on all floors. Upon your arrival you see that the only other unit on scene is the first due truck, with a junior Lieutenant as the officer. You overhear the OV in the rear transmit via HT that the secondary entrance in the rear was open upon his arrival and he can see that the fire involves contents and not the structure. The OV also states there are no obstructions between the secondary rear entrance and the fire area in the front of the cellar. Lastly, the OV states that there are no window bars in the rear and you notice that there are no window bars in the front of the building either. You would be incorrect to conduct which action from the list below? (Chapter 3, 2.6, 2.7, 2.7.2 & chapter 6, section 4.2.2)
A) Transmit a 10-75, and request an extra engine and ladder company due to the lightweight construction.
B) You order the first hose-line operated into a front cellar window where visible fire is found.
C) You ensure that no members are operating in the cellar while you operate the exterior line into the front cellar window.
D) After knocking down the fire in the cellar from the front window you order the hose-line stretched through the front door to the interior cellar stairs, the cellar stairs were located by the truck after you shut down the exterior line.
16) Please choose the correct factor(s) that would preclude the descent of the first hose-line down the interior cellar stairs at a private dwelling fire? (Chapter 3, section 2.7.2)
A) High heat conditions at the bottom of the stairs.
B) Questionable stability of the stairway.
C) Initial size-up indicating a serious fire condition.
D) All of the above.
16. B, C
17) You are the first due engine officer operating at a private dwelling cellar fire. After your size up you determine the quickest path to the cellar is via the first floor to the interior cellar staircase. After advancing the line into the first floor the truck officer reports he is unable to locate the cellar staircase due to an alteration, there will now be a considerable delay applying water on the fire. There are no other units on scene, however the Battalion has just gone 10-84 with Acting Battalion Chief (ABC) Jeter. After providing ABC Jeter with the particulars he takes the following actions, which action did not follow FDNY procedures? (Chapter 3, section 2.7.4)
A) Jeter transmits an urgent for the repositioning of the first hose-line and ensures all members operating in the interior acknowledge.
B) He orders all ladder company members operating on the first floor to secure an area of refuge on the first floor, ensuring a ready means of egress.
C) Jeter orders you to reposition the line to a secondary entrance.
D) Jeter orders the forcible entry team to operate with the engine company and facilitate the advance of the hose-line via the secondary entrance.
Members on he 1st floor have to withdrawn
18) There are several times that officers can consider stretching 2-1/2 hose-lines for a fire in a private dwelling. Please choose the incorrect consideration from the list below? (Chapter 3, section 5 & 6)
A) Consider stretching a 2-1⁄2 inch hose-line for a faster knock down, greater reach of stream, increased volume of water and increased exposure protection when a private dwelling is fully involved.
B) A 2-1⁄2 inch hose-line shall also be considered when encountering a wind impacted fire in a private dwelling.
C) A 2-1⁄2 inch hose-line shall also be considered for a cellar fire in a larger style Private Dwelling (Queen Anne ).
D) Consider stretching a 2-1⁄2” hose-line if increased volume or reach of the stream is a consideration while conducting exposure protection for private dwellings.
1st Floor in a Queen Anne
19) Please choose an incorrect search and rescue tactic for private dwelling (PD) fires? (Chapter 4, section 2.1 & 2.2)
A) If more than one occupant is found on an upper floor in a PD, the IC shall ensure that adequate staffing is assigned to effect their removal. The primary function of the engine company during this critical period should be to penetrate to the seat of the fire, regardless of location.
B) When the search of a room in a PD has been completed, the door shall be kept closed until the main body of fire has been extinguished.
C) Members shall be alert to the fact that if a door is not present on a room, or is not able to be closed upon entry, an uncontrolled flow-path may be created.
D) Immediately upon entering a room from a window, members should make a quick check/sweep of the floor in the hall outside the door for any victims before closing the door.
20) Please choose the correct item about fire extension in private dwellings? (Chapter 4, section 3)
A) A quick determination as to whether a structure is balloon frame is to remove a baseboard on an interior wall and check for the presence of a sole plate.
B) Rapid fire spread via an open stairway should be a concern to firefighters operating on upper floors.
C) A major concern in all fires is knowing where the fire originated. This is particularly important in platform construction due to the continuous nature of the exterior wall studding.
D) Platform construction acts effectively as a fire stop, and limits or restricts vertical extension via the interior walls.
BONUS CAPTAIN’S QUESTION: (See Slide # 4 to answer this question.)
21) You are conducting an inspection on a restaurant in a stand alone building, which according to the certificate of occupancy can only be occupied by 74 people. It should be noted that the restaurant was constructed under the 2008 building code. The restaurant uses LPG for food warming and browning. You would know that the restaurant needs to comply with the following rule(s) when utilizing LPG for food warming and browning? (BISP Manual chapter 3 2008 Assembly Guide & chapter 5 reference 4.2, section 17)
A) Not more than one (1) portable LPG container may be connected to each LPG device.
B) Portable LPG containers for food warming and browning purposes shall be limited to those with a capacity not exceeding 16.4 ounces.
C) No more than twelve (12) portable LPG containers shall be stored in the Group A occupancy or public gathering place.
D) When not in use, portable LPG containers shall be stored above grade in a metal cabinet, in an area protected by a sprinkler system. Such cabinet shall be installed away from sources of heat.
E) None of the above, because the items mentioned above are only for Assembly occupancies.
21. A, B, C, D
22) You are a truck officer supervising overhaul at a private dwelling fire, under construction. You are presented with the image shown below on the first floor of the private dwelling. You would know that the collapse of which two floor members shown below may trigger a secondary collapse of the other structural members they support? (Chapter 4, section 3 & Dunn chapter 2)
A) Double Header & Trimmer Floor Beams
B) Double Header & Joists
C) Double Header & Tail Beams
D) Trimmer Floor Beams & Tail Beams
23) You are the first to arrive Ladder Officer at a cellar fire in a peaked roof private dwelling. You would know that only one of your actions from the list below is correct? (Chapter 4, section 5.1)
A) You knew that you are always required to use the main entrance to access the fire area.
B) After gaining entry through the entrance door chosen you ensured that the door was controlled until a dry hose-line was advanced to the entrance door.
C) Before ordering any horizontal ventilation you evaluated the impact that the ventilation tactic would have on interior conditions.
D) You knew that you are always required to conduct a primary search of the fire floor.
24) Please choose the incorrect general duty for the first Ladder Chauffeur, OV and Roof firefighters at a peaked roof private dwelling fire? (Chapter 4, section 5.1)
A) Members proceeding to the side or rear must visually examine cellar windows to determine interior fire conditions.
B) Members of the first ladder outside team should always initiate removal of window bars on both the front and rear of the building, early in the operation.
C) Members shall not vent windows unless ordered to do so by the Ladder Company Officer. All observations must be reported to the Ladder Company Officer and IC.
D) Make an immediate HT notification to the IC of means of entry and other conditions found.
25) Please choose an incorrect Roof/OV team aerial ladder operation while operating at a peaked roof private dwelling fire? (Chapter 4, section 5.3)
A) Prior to using the aerial ladder the Roof and/or OV firefighters shall conduct a quick survey around the perimeter of the dwelling.
B) Vent the attic window as directed by the Ladder Company Officer operating in the fire area.
C) If an aerial ladder operation and/or rescue are indicated, the Roof/OV Team will make entry after perimeter searches are completed.
D) Vent fire area/room when ordered by the Ladder Company Officer operating in the fire area to be vented.
2. If an aerial ladder operation and/or rescue are indicated, the Roof/OV Team will make entry. Perimeter searches will be communicated and tasked to the second arriving ladder
26) Please choose the only correct action by a second ladder company officer operating at a peaked roof private dwelling fire? (Chapter 4, section 5.5)
A) Always assume responsibility for operations above the fire.
B) Communications with the first ladder officer is always required to identify areas that may require a primary search.
C) Prior to proceeding to the floors above via the interior stairs, notify the IC.
D) When operating above the fire floor, an area of refuge should be secured, as soon as possible.
E) The Roof/OV team should be assigned to vent the roof when necessary. At top floor fires in attached PD’s, examine exposures for possible extension.
27) Physically cutting and opening the roof is usually not considered an initial operation at peaked roof private dwelling fire. Please choose an incorrect procedure from the list below? (Chapter 4, section 6.1)
A) If roof skylights are found, they should be vented prior to cutting the roof only when directed by the ladder company officer operating in the fire area.
B) The tower ladder (TL) is the most versatile, efficient and safest method to ventilate the roof.
C) When utilizing an aerial ladder to vent a peaked roof extend the ladder at least 2' above and to one side of the peak.
D) When possible, the preferred position of the TL apparatus is parallel to the front of building, so the basket can be placed over the corner of the building near the peak of the roof.
28) You arrive as the first due ladder company officer for a cellar fire in a legal two family private dwelling, shown below. You would know that your Roof/OV team will conduct a survey around the perimeter of the dwelling for occupants in need of immediate rescue. If no visible life hazard is found, they shall VEIS the ________. Please fill in the blank? (Chapter 4, section 9)
A) cellar windows
B) first floor windows
C) second floor windows
D) area most likely to be occupied
29) Please choose an incorrect cellar fire tactic for ladder companies when the decision has been made to advance the first hose-line through the main entrance and down the interior cellar stairs to extinguish the fire? (Chapter 4, section 10.4)
A) The first arriving ladder company inside team will perform a primary search of the cellar immediately upon entering the building.
B) If the engine company requires assistance in order to advance the line through the cellar, one member of the first ladder company interior team shall be sent to provide assistance.
C) The second ladder company will report to the Incident Commander and augment search operations and ventilation efforts on all floors above the cellar.
D) Once the cellar fire is controlled, the inside team is in position to perform VEIS duties.
prior to descending into the cellar
30) Please choose the most correct cellar fire tactic for ladder companies when there is a secondary entrance and the first hose-line does not advance down the interior cellar stair, but rather remains on the first floor? (Chapter 4, section 10.4.2)
A) The first arriving ladder company inside team will assume responsibility for primary search and examination of the first floor and floors above.
B) The second arriving ladder inside team will coordinate their advance with the second hose-line into the cellar via a secondary entrance.
C) Indications of an open interior cellar door when entering through the entrance door can be determined by a thermal imaging camera showing heat waves emanating across the first floor ceiling when entering the first floor via the entrance door.
D) All of the above.
PART IV - TRAINING BULLETINS APP L-7:
1) Please choose the correct Rear-mount Aerial Ladder description from the list below? (Section, 1.4, 3.1, & 3.2.2)
A) Load capacity varies from 250-1000 lbs. at the tip depending on the degree of elevation.
B) Hydraulically operated “H” frame stabilizers are located behind the rear wheels. The stabilizers each require a clearance of 5′ 2′′ for full horizontal extension.
C) The operator cannot view the “H” frame stabilizers in motion requiring a two firefighter operation.
D) A properly placed stabilizer will cause an orange STABILIZER DOWN light to illuminate in the Stabilizer Control Compartment.
Load capacity varies from 250-750 lbs. at the tip depending on the degree of elevation.
• Ensure that the green STABILIZER DOWN INDICATOR LIGHT is illuminated
2) When the ground is not level and the Aerial Ladder apparatus is leaning there are certain procedures that need to be followed, please choose the correct procedure? (Section 3.3)
A) Start with the stabilizer on the high side first.
B) The high side stabilizer shall be fully extended horizontally and lowered to its maximum.
C) The low side stabilizer shall then be extended as necessary and then lowered to a point that levels the apparatus.
D) Utilize the Inclinometer mounted at the front of the apparatus to aid in leveling the apparatus.
E) If the inboard stabilizer (working side) is also the high side, it must be fully extended horizontally and then lowered the distance necessary to level the apparatus for a safe operation.
3) Officers and LCCs should understand how to interpret extension footage numbers and the inclinometer on an Aerial Ladder apparatus. Please choose an incorrect item from the list below? (Section 4.4 & 4.5)
A) Extension Footage numbers are located on the base section vertical struts and the corresponding bright colored vertical strut of the second section.
B) When the colored strut is lined up with a footage number, the ladder is extended to that respective length.
C) The Inclinometer is located on the outside of the Aerial Base section, in order to determine the hoisted degrees of the ladder above horizontal.
D) Always match the Inclinometer and Extension Footage numbers for proper load capacity.
Refer to the Inclinometer, located on the inside of the Aerial Base section, to determine the hoisted degrees of the ladder above horizontal. Always match the Inclinometer and Extension Footage numbers for proper load capacity
4) The aerial ladder has an emergency hydraulic system. This system is to be used when the normal PTO fails or the engine shuts down, and the aerial ladder or jacks need to be used. Please choose the correct item about this system from the list below? (Section 5)
A) If the aerial or jacks can’t be moved because of a loss of hydraulic fluid this emergency system will always work.
B) The steps required to use the emergency system MUST be followed in a precise order.
C) Only the electrical pump needs a cool-down period between operations (retract ladder, cool-down period, rotate ladder, cool-down period and so on).
D) The engine should be running when the Normal/Emergency Hydraulic Switch is placed in the Auxiliary position enabling the electric hydraulic pump.
5) The aerial ladder system is equipped with a Rotation Limiting Device. This is a safety device that limits turntable rotation to keep the apparatus from overturning during operations where the stabilizers are not fully extended horizontally (Short-Jacked). Please choose the correct item about this device? (Section 5.4)
A) This device will only activate when the apparatus stabilizers have not been fully extended horizontally (Short-Jacked).
B) This device will not allow ladder rotation of more than 15 degrees from the center line of the apparatus towards either side of the apparatus, regardless of conditions.
C) If a mechanical malfunction occurs and a member confirms that the stabilizers are fully extended horizontally and loaded vertically the Rotation Limiting Device, if activated, can be overridden.
D) Members must take the necessary actions to provide for the full horizontal extension and necessary vertical loading of the outboard stabilizer.
PART V - EVOLUTIONS 23, 24, 33, 33A, 34:
1) A member exiting a window using a personal safety system with a remote anchor would know that which item below is incorrect? (23, section 3)
A) This system should ONLY be used after all other means of self-rescue have been exhausted.
B) When a member has decided to deploy the Personal Safety System, a Mayday transmission for a trapped member must be transmitted.
C) In addition to all other required information relayed for a trapped member, include that you are in the process of deploying the Personal Safety System.
D) When a point of safety is reached after using your Personal Safety System, the Incident Commander must be notified.
E) Tying off to a substantial object is the required method of anchoring the personal safety system, regardless of conditions.
2) A member exiting a window using a personal safety system with an anchor hook at a window would know that which item below is most correct? (24, section 3.3)
A) Maintain right hand on hook and left hand on rope.
B) Place head and upper torso into window opening.
C) Place hook into selected anchor position with right hand.
D) Hold hook in place with palm of right hand. Do not wrap fingers around anchor hook or rope.
E) Right hand maintains anchor hook position inside of window.
F) All of the above.
3) Please choose an incorrect item about the deployment of a fire window blanket? (33, section 3.3.3 & 4)
A) Firefighters deploying the blanket from a window above the fire apartment should never remove the window to deploy the blanket.
B) Any unit or units may be used to deploy the blanket.
C) Due to the length of the top supporting straps, the blanket can be lowered from two floors above if the IC deems this necessary.
D) The blanket is large enough to cover two windows if necessary. The bottom of the blanket is weighted to facilitate positioning.
Firefighters deploying the blanket from a window above the fire apartment must not remove the window to deploy the blanket unless absolutely necessary
4) The KO Curtain shall be deployed for the following conditions:
A) A window in the fire apartment has failed and size-up indicates wind is blowing the fire into the apartment continuously or intermittently.
B) Size-up indicates that deployment of the KO Curtain prior to window failure will prevent a wind driven fire from developing.
C) The KO Curtain will ONLY be deployed on orders of the Incident Commander or the first ladder company officer.
D) The 2nd arriving ladder company officer will coordinate the deployment once ordered.
Please choose an incorrect item from the list above? (34, section 1.2)
5) Please choose an incorrect KO curtain deployment procedure from the list below? (34, section 5)
A) The Deployment firefighter should consider having his face-piece on and full PPE donned when deploying the KO Curtain.
B) The Deployment Firefighter, located above the fire, chooses the Deployment Window which must be directly above the Target Window.
C) The KO Curtain shall NEVER be deployed in the horizontal position. The KO Curtain is designed and shall be deployed ONLY in the vertical position.
D) Open the Deployment Window without removing/breaking the glass, and remove any child guards or window gates. Do not remove the glass unless absolutely necessary.
6) Please choose the correct KO curtain deployment procedure from the list below? (34, section 5)
A) When the receiving and deploying firefighters are in position and ready, notify the first arriving ladder company officer that the KO Curtain is in position and ready to be deployed.
B) Throw the KO Curtain so it covers the Target Window.
C) Both the Deploying firefighter and the Receiving firefighter will remain in position until otherwise ordered by the 2nd arriving ladder company officer.
D) The IC and the ladder company officer on the fire floor will be notified when the KO Curtain is in position fully covering the target window.