Flashcards in Ops 6 EOD Deck (36):
EOD/Bomb Squad response
What is the purpose of Ops 6?
To establish procedures for th police and EOD ;units response to bomb threats, the discovery of devices, and the investigation of explosive or incendiary device denotations.
What may be the purpose of a bomb threat?
1. To disrupt the activities of the facility;
2. To minimize injury to personnel;
4. To create panic this will result in injuries to personnel.
What are the responsibilities of the communication center upon being notified of a bomb threat?
a. Whether the recipient believes the threat is a hoax or is real.
b. The threatened time of detonation.
c. The exact or approximate location of device.
d. A description of the device.
e. The construction of the device.
f. What will cause the device to explode?
g. The reason for the placement of the device at a particular location.
h. The past history of any other threats or actual devices found at this facility.
The communications center will dispatch both __ & __ to the scene
Patrol unit & supervisor
Communications center will dispatch via ___?
Telephone and not over the radio if possible
The patrol unit and patrol supervisor dispatched to the scene will carry out what responsibilities?
1. Proceed directly to the facility.
2. Upon arrival, shall establish contact with the facility manager.
3. NO OFFICER OR SUPERVISOR SHALL MAKE ANY STATEMENT INDICATING THAT A DEVICE DOES NOT EXIST OR ANY STATEMENT THAT MINIMIZES THE SEVERITY OF THE THREAT.
4. The senior officer or supervisor on the scene shall interview the actual recipient of the threat and gather as much information as possible
5. Establish a temporary command post in conjunction with the fire department commander
6. Explain the options to the facility manager concerning the formation of search teams
If the manager decides to treat the threat as real then the following need to be notified:
a. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician on duty/on call;
b. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Commander;
c. Ambulance and medical personnel; and
d. Fire Department
Who decides if an evacuation of the facility should occur for a bomb threat call?
The decision is made by the ranking official of said business or facility
What is the minimal distance persons should be evacuated to?
600 to 2000ft
Who makes the decision to re-occupy the business once the EOD personnel renders facility safe?
the ranking official of business
The search team should consist of who?
EOD personnel, managers, and maintenance personnel
Police personnel normally shall __ search for the device/
If a time of detonation is given in the threat, the search should be discontinued ___ minutes prior to the threatened time and not resumed until ___ minutes after the threatened time if the facility manager has ordered evacuation).
If search fails to locate a device, who makes the decision to discontinue the search and/or resume normal business operations?
Who can summon the bomb detection dog to the scene?
In the event that the threat is at an educational facility, the search team shall consist of who?
1. bomb squad members and the senior maintenance personnel on the scene
2. or in the absence of maintenance the principal of the school, or his designee
What is a "suspected devise"?
any package, container or exposed ordnance which by its location, construction and the circumstances surrounding its discovery leads to the suspicion that it may be an explosive/incendiary device
Any suspected device should be considered a ___ until determined otherwise by a qualified Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician
What is the minimal distance of placement of the command post in the discovery of a suspected device?
___, ___, and ___ should be restricted and no transmissions should be made within immediate area of the suspected device.
If a suspect device is detected, the patrol supervisor shall notify who?
1. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal technician on duty/on call;
2. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Commander;
3. Ambulance and medical personnel; and
4. Fire Department
The senior patrol supervisor shall oversee the ___ of the facility and all areas potentially endangered by the device.
The senior patrol supervisor shall also:
1. assign officers to fixed posts at strategic locations to divert all pedestrian and vehicular traffic away from the area of the suspected device
2. ensure that only qualified Explosive Ordnance Disposal technicians handle, render safe or dispose of any suspected device, explosive ordnance or incendiary device
Who determines whether a suspected device is or isn't a bomb?
only qualified explosive ordinance disposal personnel shall make the determination
The bomb dog may only be used for what?
to search for secondary devices
For post blast scenes, a ___ of department assets should be committed to the scene of detonation.
The patrol supervisor shall take the following actions upon arriving at a post blast scene:
1. Establish a field command post-a minimum of 600 feet to 2000 feet as dictated by the situation.
2. Strategically position officers to cordon off the area
3. Protect the scene of the explosion as a crime scene. Only fire and medical personnel will be allowed near the scene
4. Provide for the safe and orderly evacuation of citizens who may be endangered.
5. Ensure that E.O.D. technicians clear the scene of explosive material before any further action is taken in the area of detonation
In the event of any unplanned detonation, the following personnel shall be notified and shall conduct the post-blast investigation:
1. Internal Affairs Division,
2. the Safety Coordinator,
3. Arson Division, and
4. the Bomb Squad Commander.
-The scene shall be treated as a crime scene with proper documentation of entry
Who exercises primary responsibilities for the investigation of incendiary devices?
The Arson Unit or ATF
Who has primary jurisdiction in cases involving detonations and suspected devices at postal facilities or mail in transit?
US Postal Services
Who has primary jurisdiction in cases involving detonations and suspected devices at U.S. Treasury facilities and regulations dealing with the use, storage or transportation of explosives?
Who shall exercise primary jurisdiction in cases involving detonations or suspected devices on U.S. government facilities other than U.S. Postal or Treasury buildings?
Who investigates incidents occurring at universities that are federally funded facilities or those incidents that suggest terrorist involvement?
Only ___ ___ ___ ___ or the departments __.__.__ techs shall render safe explosive devices and dispose of an explosive ordnance
Military Explosive Ordnance Disposal or the department's E.O.D. technicians