Flashcards in P3 - Energy Resources Deck (9)
What is a Biofuel?
Fuel taken from a living or recently living organism.
Materials used in a nuclear power station?
Carbon the organism takes out of the environment equals the carbon it gives off when burning
Pumped storage system?
Water pumped uphill to the reservoir when energy demand is low, to then generate electricity when the demand is high.
Difference between solar panels and solar cells?
• Panels heat water directly
• Cells generate energy directly.
Water pumped onto hot rocks to make steam.
Disadvantages of renewable energy sources?
• currently cannot meet demand
• wind turbines can be unsightly
• tidal barrages affect river life in the estuary and habitats of creatures there
• hydro electric needs space- affect animals as flooding habitats
• solar needs space
Disadvantages of non renewable energy sources?
• produce harmful greenhouse gasses - contribute to global warming
• avid rain from coal