Flashcards in peabody estate Deck (5)
what was the peabody housing estate?
a new housing development - a block of flats that was built in whitechapel after they demolished slums under the Artisans Dwelling Act
who was George Peabody?
an american banker who invested money into the Peabody Estate
what are 3 positives of the peabody estate?
1. the flats were cleaner and a lot more hygienic
2. they were less crowded - only one family in each room
3. they had running water and toilets
3 negatives of the Peabody Housing Estate
1. caused more overcrowding
2. too expensive for poorest people
3. immediate eviction if you don't pay rent