Flashcards in Peace and Conflict Questions: Christianity. Deck (9):
Outline three Christian beliefs about peace.
- War can never be justified.
- Some feel that in certain situations, fighting is necessary.
- Jesus was a peacemaker.
Explain two reasons why Christians believe peace making is important.
- Jesus was a peacemaker: want to follow him and his example.
- World Council of Churches: They bring Christians together and follow Jesus' example.
Outline three causes of war.
- National pride.
Explain two reasons why a non-religious person may argue that religion causes war.
- The Crusades: example of religion causing war.
- The Troubles: Another example.
Outline three Christian belief about pacifism.
- Quakers believe that war can never be justified.
- Aggressors always win.
Explain two conditions of the Just war theory.
- Warfare must be careful: no nuclear weapons and that the warfare is not reckless.
- There is a reasonable chance of success: meaning that the war is not a stupid war.
Explain two reasons why the Just war theory is important to Christians.
- "Rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants".
- It is right that armed forces should protect the nation from enemies.
Outline three problems of WMD.
- Extremely difficult to control.
- They kill innocent civilians.