Flashcards in Pharmacological Manipulation of Female Reproduction Deck (20):
Why would you want to manipulate the estrous cycle?
1. improve reproductive efficiency
2. assisted/advanced reproductive techniques
3. improve management convenience/efficiency
4. management of undesirable behavior
Name the 7 basic approaches to manipulating the estrous cycle
1. mimic the CL by administering progesterone
2. lyse the CL by administering a luteolytic drug
3. induce ovulation of a mature follicle by causing an LH surge
4. prevent cyclicity by suppressing the hypothalamo-pituitary axis
5. induce cyclicity in an anestrus animal
6. increase ovulation rate by administering FSH or FSH-like compounds
7. various combinations of the above
How can you mimic the CL in cattle?
melengesterol acetate (MGA)
How can you mimic the CL in sheep and goats?
progestagen impregnated sponges
How do you mimic the CL in horses?
regumate (progestagen given orally or in feed)
How do you mimic the CL in bitches?
megestrol acetate (Ovaban)
What is required if you want to lyse the CL?
animals have to be cycling
the CL has to be at a responsive stage of development
How do you lyse the CL in cattle?
How do you lyse the CL in sheep and goats?
How do you lyse the CL in horses?
How do you lyse the CL in sows?
must use a lysing drug in combination with something that lengthens luteal phase or provides an artificial CL
How can you induce ovulation?
-supply GnRH or an analog and use the animals own LH
-use human chorionic gonadotropin that has long-lasting LH activity
How can you induce ovulation in cattle?
cystorelin or factrel (gonadorelins)
How can you induce ovulation in horses?
How can you induce ovulation in queens?
How can you suppress the hypothalamo-pituiary axis?
GnRH super agonists
Mibolerone drops (anabolic steroid)
How can you induce cyclicity in anestrus queens?
FSH and HCG
How can you induce cyclicity in anestrus bitches?
GnRH super agonists
How can you increase ovulation rate?
higher total doses of FSH