Flashcards in Placental anatomy and physiology Deck (7)
What makes up the fetal and maternal portions of placenta?
Villi of the chorion frondosum
When does placental development begin?
At blastocyst implantation around day 7-8 of embryogenesis, where syncitiotrophoblast begin to invade into decidua basalis
What are the features of decidualisation and what factors drive the process?
- Rising progesterone
- Blastocyst invasion
- Increased vascularisation and swelling of maternal vessels
- Increased oedema
- Increased glycogen and lipid stores in endometrial cells
- Synciototrophoblast driven erosion of endometrium at implantation site
When do cotyledons form and how?
Around 4 months - decidua septa divide placenta in 15-20 discrete cotyledons
What layers does gas exchange occur between fetal side of the placenta and the junctional zone?
Syncitiotrophoblast and endothelial cells of fetal circulation
What are the roles of the placenta?
- Gas exchange
- Nutrient / glucose supply
- Removal waste products
- endocrine function
- Immunological function - line of defence against fetal infection and presence of immunoglobulins