Flashcards in Plato Deck (11):
What famous analogy did Plato come up with?
Analogy of the cave
What’s Plato’s hierarchy of forms (from best to worst)?
Form of the good, forms, particulars
What represents the form of the good in Plato’s analogy?
Arguments against Plato’s theory of forms
1) there’s no physical evidence
2) Aristotle questions if there’s one idea of perfection/ the form of the good
3) Mel Thompson- takes for granted we’re unhappy in the World of Appearances
4) Stephen law- there must also be perfect forms of unpleasant things
5) Aristotle’s perishability argument
What quote shows Mel Thompson’s view on the theory of forms?
‘Plato fails to illustrate the attractiveness of the physical world; the scene inside the gloomy cave hardly delights the senses’
What quote shows Stephen Law’s view on the world of forms?
‘The platonic heaven of forms does not sound so heavenly’
How does Aristotle attack Plato’s theory of forms?
The form of perishability argument
Outline the form of perishability argument
Some objects are perishable, so there must be a Form of perishability. However, each Form is also eternal and unchanging, so this is a contradiction
Arguments in support of Plato
1) we know our senses deceive us
2) prisoners in his analogy are completely unaware as we could be
Word for clean slate