What anaesthetic complications can occur immediately after surgery?
- Breathing problems
- Mouth damage
What complications can occur early after surgery?
- Fluid depletion
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Local infection
- Fluid collection
- Wound breakdown
- Anastomotic leak
- Bed sores
What complications can occur after gasterctomy?
- Dumping syndrome
- Anastamotic ulcer
- Peptic/gastric ulcer
- Small intestine bacterial overgrowth
- Abdominal fullness/gas bloating
What are complications that can occur after small and large bowel surgery?
- Anastamotic leaks
- Stoma retraction
- Intra-abdominal collections
- Pre-sacral plexus damage
- Adhesions/intestinal obstruction
- Damage to other local structures
What are complications of cholecystectomy?
Common bile duct injury/leak
What are complications that can occur after biliary surgery?
- Common bile duct injury/leak
- Common bile duct stricture
- Anastamotic leak
- Bleeding into biliary tree - jaundice
What are complications that can occur following CABG/coronary stenting procedures?
- Reperfusion arrythmias
- Post-op ACS
- Inotrope therapy -> reduced perfusion to other organs
What are complications which can occur in vascular graft/stent/bypass procedures?
- Graft failure
- Re-thrombosis -> limb/organ ischaemia
- AV fistula
- Cholesterol embolism
Contrast complications - anaphylaxis, AKI
What are complications that can occur following thyroidectomy?
- Airway obstruction 2o to haemorrhage
- Recurrent laryngeal nerve palsy
What are complications of a parotidectomy?
Facial nerve damage
What complications can occur in any orthopaedic surgery?
- Infection of prosthesis
- Loss of position/failure to fixate
- Non-union/malunion/delayed union
- Neurovascular injury
- Compartment syndrome
What are complications fo THR?
- Sciatic nerve damage
- Leg length difference
WHat are complications of Cystoscopy/
What is the most common cause of post-operative pyrexia?
Why are surgical patients at risk of developing chest infections?
Suboptimal ventilation causing basal atelectasis
What are causes of post operative fever?
- Wind - atelectasis/pneumonia
- Water - UTI
- Wound - wound or collection
- Walking - VTE
- Wonder drugs - Transfusion/drug reactions
What are causes of hypotension postoperatively?
- Cardiogenic shock
- Sympathetic shock
WHy can sympathetic shock occur post-operatively?
Epidural analgesia/high blocks can lose sympathetic outflow causing vasodilatation and cardiogenic shock
If someone had hypotension post-op, what would you want to asses?
End organ dysfunction - ABG, UO, confusion
What can cause pulmonary oedema in a post-op patient?
- Large fluid shifts
- Cardiac dysfunction
What can cause low urine output in a post op?
- Pre-renal - volume depletion
- Renal - nephrotoxic drugs
- Post-renal - Prostatic hypertrophy, raised intra-abdominal pressure
How would you assess a patient with low UO?
- Fluid status
- Medicines review
- Catheter examination/bladder
How would you assess respiratory difficulties in a post-op patient?
- Fluid status
- Assess calves - DVT