Identify the structure:
Key features of continuous capillaries:
- tight junctions;
- Pinocytotic vesicles (transcytosis) enable substances to pass from the lumen to the CT
Are capillaries surrounded by smooth muscle?
Identify the entire structure.
Identify the structure indicated by the arrowheads.
- elastic artery
- arrowheads: vaso vasorum
Elastic fibers in elastic arteries are synthesized by:
the smooth muscle cells.
Key feature of elastic arteries:
- sheets of elastin between layers smooth muscle cells
lymph vessels (lacteals)
Do lymph vessel lumens contain blood cells?
- ANP granules (atrial natriuretic protein)
- Functions to decrease blood pressure
- Secreted when blood pressure is HIGH
- Stored in the atrial myocytes of the heart.
Key feature of arteriole:
1‐2 layers of smooth muscle (LM and EM images)
Key feature of muscular artery:
internal and external elastic lamina
Key features of lymphatics (3):