Flashcards in Pre and Probiotics Deck (16):
How much bacteria cells can you find in a gram of faeces?
1 x 10^11
What is a probiotic?
A probiotic is a LIVE microvial feed supplement which BENEFICIALLY affects the HOSt animal by IMPROVING its intestinal balance.
According to Canada's nautral health products regulations which is probiotics limited to?
ex. Lactobacillus acidophilus
Most popular probiotics?
A few NON-LAB are obligate anaerobes such as: Bifidobacterium bifidum, B. longum, and B.infantis
Why do you need two cultures to make yogurt?
1 to break down proteins and provide AA
2. Flavor: Acetylaldhyde, acetic acid diacetyl
1. Lactobacillus delbueckii subsp. bulgaricus
2. Streptococcus thermophilus
Minimum level for a claim of probiotic must be?
1.0 x 10^9 CFU
What type of probiotic is Saccharomyces boulardii
SISU kiddie acidophilus is probiotics for kids.. is this safe?
ONLY if the kid is healthy.
What does NHPR have to consider when it comes to safety and probiotics?
Know the antibiotic reistance profile, production of antibiotics, pathogenic potential, and metabolic activities- if D-lactate is produced or if bile salt decongjugase activity is presnt. Which decreaes blood cholesterol.
Efficacy ( chances it'll produce a product that will make an effect) considerations for probiotics and NHPR?
1. Minimum daily dose
2. acid and bile stability
3. adhesion characterization ( not required)
4. Impact of diet on probiotic bacteria.
What is a prebiotic?
NON-digestible food ingredient that beneficially afffects the host by selectively stimulating the growth and activity of the bacteria in the colon.
What should prebiotics be?
- Resist gastric acitiy, hydrolysis
- Be fermented by intetstinal microflora
- Stiumlate growth and activity of intestinal bacteria.
What are some examples of prebiotics
Inulin, lactulose, transgalacto-oligosaccharide.
what is symbiotic?
Contains both pre and probiotics which the prebiotic selectively favors the probiotic. Helps probiotic colonize the gut.
What are the benefits of a probiotic?
- Increased reistance to disease
- Decrased duration of diarrhea
- reduction in blood pressure
- reduction to allergy
- stiumulation of phagocytosis
- regression of tumor