Flashcards in Preflight Deck (25):
What is the CA flow upon arriving at the aircraft?
- Safety PowerUp Checklist
2. Emergency Equipment
3. Maintenance Can
4. Flight Release
- Originating Checklist
What documents and manuals are required to be onboard?
1. Airworthiness Cert
2. Registration Cert
3. CAN: AFL , MX and DMI log
6. QRC / Checklist
What emergency equipment is required?
- library (airside)
What do you check in the maintenance can?
1. Tail # - matches aircraft
2. MX Log - review write ups, DMI log
- signed off w/employee number
3. Flight log - Date, tail #, MX signature on white sheet, Crew names and signatures
4. DMI card/stickers
5. Delay codes
6. Form 288 "Do not operate" tag
7. De-ice checklist/ H.O.T's
8. Jumpseat card
What items are required on the release? What are you checking for?
1. Flight # (ATC vs. Marketing)
2. Tail # (MX can vs. aircraft tail)
3. Crew names (FAR 117 rest regs)
4. Airports (departure, destination, alternates)
5. Fuel (FOB, RLSF, MINTO)
6. Weather (all airports listed, require alternate?)
7. Flight Plan (IFR,VFR)
10. MEL's/DMI's (match can)
11. Take-off/Landing Report
What kind of briefings are required?
2. All Flights
3. Departure WANT
4. Arrival WANT
What's in an ICE briefing?
- crew fit for duty (ID badges, manuals, certificates)
- (emergency) interphone, # knocks
- Suspicious activity
3. Entry protocol
- seatbelt sign preference
What's in an ALL FLIGHTS brief?
- Time: taxi (short/long), flight time, De-ice
- Altitude: ride/bumps
- Destination WX
- specials, LEO/FFDO's
- MEL's, Potable, LAV, COMO
What's a departure WANT?
W - WX
- winds: x-winds, windshear
- visibility: low/fog, (Take-off mins/alternate)
- temperature: cold/de-ice, hot/APU
A - Airport / departure Area
- ATC clearance vs. filed flight plan
- Expected RWY and Taxi route (SMGS, 1/2 eng, length, condition)
- de-ice/ anti-ice (pad, ENG, ALL)
- ENGINE FAILURE (before/after V1, aborts)
- SID /ODP / RNAV DP's
N- NOTAMS and MEL's
- ATIS advisories
- Flight release messages / remarks
T - Threats (conditions, terrain, Mel's,)
- mitigation strategy
What is required as apart of the LOAD MANIFEST?
6. Passengers (count)
What are included in the BOW Basic Operating Weight?
What considerations should be taken into account when reviewing release fuel and planning purposes?
1. MINTO: fuel that MUST be onboard at the start of the TO roll (destination, farthest alt, +45min SE)
2. Winds and WX (windshear max performance, APU burn)
3. Anticipated TRAFFIC delays (Chicago taxi, De-icing, extended taxi, flow)
4. 1 Instrument Approach and missed at destination (BJX, app w/out vertical guidance)
5. Conditions delaying landing (holding, reroute, assigned speed, flow)
When should we notify dispatch of fuel change?
1. Fuel increases
2. Fuel decreases > 200lb or 50% contingency
** always take extra fuel, unless over MAX PLANNED TAKE-OFF weight**
3. Planned ETA at destination exceeds 15
4. Cruise varies by 4,000' (PDC, rides, PIC discretion)
5. Planned route exceeds 100nm
**LOADING PLANNED ZERO FUEL WEIGHT DURING PREFLIGHT WILL HELP GIVE YOU A GOOD INDICATION IF EXTRA FUEL NEEDED**
When in comes TAF's or forecast weather planning, what 2 questions should we ask? Think exemp.3585
1. Is the MAIN Body (FM, end of BECMG) good enough (minimums or 1/2mi) ?
NO = No Go (until new forecast)
Yes = ask question 2
2. Is CONDITIONAL WX (TEMPO, PROB) good enough (1/2 minimums or 1/2mi) ?
NO = No Go
Yes = legal to depart (Exemption 3585)
- MUST have 2nd alternate
- MUST have most recent WX (get inflight) for ALL intended airports
**only applies to Destination and 1st Alternate**
**No International (Canada or Mexico)**
**No High Mins Captains**
When do you test the (FDR) flight data recorder? How do you know its a good test?
1. CA Originating flow: Press and hold a few sec.
2. A successful is indicated by no FDR EICAS messages
What is aircraft ACCEPTANCE?
1. Can on board
2. Tail #: MX Can, AML, AFL, Release
3. Airworthiness signature / AFL (M-127)
4. Review previous AML's (M-125):
- open/incomplete blocks: "Discrepancy, Corrective Action, Item Closed By "
- Signatures and #'s
5. Review DMI log (M-2):
- cross-check release:
- discrepancy call: Dispatch or MX Control
- Amend release
6. Review MEL's
- limitations / procedures: applied to release
7. Print and sign names on AFL
What do you do if/when airworthiness changes?
Anytime MX is performed or a mechanical irregularity develops:
- repeat/review airworthiness acceptance
- Ensure proper dispatch and RTS
What is the MEL procedure?
1. Review deferred item: Ops limits
2. Follow MXcontrol directions:
- Performing deferral, assoc MX procedure
- documenting actions on AML and DMI
- performing recurring MX procedure and documenting action in AML
3. Ensure Amended Release
4. Ensure MEL limits are applied and documented
During safety power up you discover battery power at 21. Can you depart?
Min Battery requirement: 22.5
- Batt between 21-22.5: perform recharge through any AC source (including engines during taxi).
- If less than 21: Call MX
reference time table:
Batt temp >0º - 30min
Where do you look to find what is considered an MX issue?
FOM SP3100, Ch.5, Mechanical Irregularities
How can you clear a Flight Control No Dispatch message?
- Interrupting an Electrical PBIT may cause this message
- To Clear: power down using Terminating
- wait 1 min
- Power Back up using Safety Powerup
During Originating Checklist you notice Hyd temperatures below 10º. What MUST be done?
H-PBIT requires Hyd system temps to be +10º in order to run test.
- Perform Hyd System warm-up:
After sitting over night at freezing temperatures. During First flights you notice an "Airspeed" indication on the PFDs. What indications might be displayed on the EICAS? What might be the cause? What do you do?
1. EICAS indications:
- AFCS Fault
- AT, AP, FD, or YD FAIL
- APPR 2 Not Avail
- ADS messages
2. Air Data sensors exposed to freezing level temps may cause moisture to freeze inside the ADSP's and create undesired airspeed indications on the grounds.
3. ADSP Heater Switch: ON... 3 min
- after establishing AC Power
- First Flights, w/ temps
You get a RAM AIR fault EICAS message on taxi out. What do you do?
*Messages persists longer than 1 min.
1. PACK 1 / 2 : PUSH OUT
- wait: 5 sec
2. PACK 1 /2 : PUSH IN
• Nuisance / no action required if message clears.
• If it doesn't clear: Actual RAM AIR failure
- contact MX