Flashcards in Prostate cancer Deck (7)
what are the symptoms of prostate cancer?
- asymptomatic with raised PSA
- urinary retention and renal failure
- bone pain, weight loss, spinal cord compression
why is it asymptomatic?
because it usually lies in fibromuscular layer of prostate
what are the risk factors of prostate cancer?
- BRCA 2 gene
what is PSA?
- gets higher as prostate enlarges
- serum blood test
- enlargement of prostate is physiological so older pt is higher PSA physiologically
what else can cause a raised PSA?
what are the investigations?
- TRUS biopsy (trans rectal)
- Histology: Gleason score and TNM