Flashcards in Psychological Disorders Part 1 Deck (16)
drilling holes in the head in order to release the demons causing 'abnormal' behaviour
"hammer of the witches"
- a 1486 German text containing instructions for identifying witches, such as looking for the "Devils mark" on the body
5 other medieval cures
- immersion in boiling water or oil
- but, madness included ailments that we now know are physical, such as epilepsy
residential facilities for the mentally ill, often applying brutal treatments
what was the first psychiatric hospital
treating psychological conditions as sets of symptoms, causes and outcomes, with treatments aimed at changing physiological processes in order to alleviate symptoms
behaviour that causes distress to oneself or others, impairs day to day functioning, or increases the risk of injury or harm to oneself or others
diagnostic statistical manual of mental disorders
a standardized manual to aid in the diagnosis of disorders; it lists diagnostic criteria and etiologies for different conditions
what was the previous classification system?
person was evaluated o 5 dimensions or axes
what were the 5 axes of the previous classification system?
1) Axis I: major mental disorder
2) Axis II: Personality disorders or mental retardation
3) Axis III: Relevant medical conditions
4) Axis IV: understanding the social, environmental and cultural context
5) Axis V: Rating (from 1-100) of current level of psychological, social and occupational functioning
what are the 3 pieces of info that the DSM-V contains?
1) set of symptoms and the number of symptoms that must be met in order to have the disorder
2) etiology of symptoms
3) a prognosis or prediction of how these symptoms will persist or change over time
advantages to the DSM
reliability, attention to culture-bound syndromes, and attention to genetic and biological factors
disadvantages to the DSM
unclear rationale for the number f symptoms necessary for diagnosis, potential stigma of labels and over diagnosis of conditions
a legal concept not directly related to psychological diagnoses or treatment