Flashcards in Public Buildings: basilicas, temples, the forum, amphitheatres, theatres Deck (32):
what are the 4 categories of public buildings?
list 3 examples of economic buildings:
macellum (market) and vegetable market
Building of Eumachia?
examples of religious buildings:
temple of apollo
examples of social buildings:
bars and taverns
examples of admin buildings:
basilica (law court)
comitium (voting hall)
What is at the top and bottom of forum?
top - temple of Jupiter/capitoline triad
bottom - municipal offices
right hand side buildings from top to bottom at the Forum in P?
2. Temple of the City Lares
3. Temple of Vespasian (genius of Augustus)
4. Building of Eumachia
5. Comitium (voting hall, centre of political activity)
Left hand side buildings from top to bottom at Forum
2. vegetable market
3. Temple of Apollo
4. Basilica (law court)
- used as first masonry display (gladiatorial)
- dates from 60BC (earliest permanent stone arena structure - some wooden ones found earlier in Rome)
- Held approx. 20 000 ppl.
- designed for gladiatorial games (teams: pompeii and neighbouring towns like Nuceria)
- probs had retractable awnings to cover around, shown in fresco.
- Nero banned games as riot with Nuceria and out of control in 59AD.
Odean (small theatre) and large theatre?
- Nero performed in Odean when AD64 earthquake struck.
- large theatre has retractable awnings
- food and refreshment available outside theatre in rectangular areas as long performance
- most performances were semi-religious also entertainment
- performances all day event
- various greek style plays/odes performed, influenced by Greeks.
what was the palaestra?
training ground for athletes/gladiators - no women could enter
- exercise/game field for citizens of P
- swimming pool in centre.
- many italian towns have one outdoor style gym.
- open area surrounded on 3 sides by colonnades
what was applied to skin exfoliate?
olive oil, volcanic sand and ash. Strigils used to scrcape off the mixture and dead skin with it.
How many bath houses did P and H have?
P = 3
have been excavated so far. e.g. Stabian baths
What pattern did bath houses follow?
roman baths with hot room - calidaria, warm room - tepidarium and cold room- frigidarium
what did baths houses have?
swimming pools sometimes
- officially men and women bathed separately
- for fee, room could be booked for co-ed parties
- change rooms, cubby holes for patrons to put clothes in
- clothes often got stolen, slaves guard clothes
- in comedic performances, patrons often go home naked (mocked in them)
Features of brothels?
stone benches, sexual scene painted on wall indication.
- often have various depiction of sexual activity on internal walls
scattered thruout P and H
what was comitium and function?
centre of political activity.
Assembly of voting citizens would gather here to discuss and vote on partic. issues
- law court building where magistrate sat as judges
- public discussions and debates
Temple of Apollo?
worship of Apollo, greek god.
also contained a table of weights and measure
the temple of jupiter was once?
at the end of Forum closest to Vesuvius, was probs once a most prominent site of worship in P at one time.
The Macellum (market)?
selling of goods, stalls set up within or outside the walls.
Building of Eumachia?
names and built after prominent Roman citizen, Eumachia (woman) at her expense. She was a priestess. Patroness of guild of fullers
dedicated to Guild of Fullers (cleaned and treated fabris) and for fuller themselves (social space?)
What is purpose of building of Eumachia?
- near the gate of P, ran road to Stabiae
- compound had larger palaestra and lost of small private rooms
- some believe that baths also hosted prostitutes
what was the Pompeian forum?
public buildings associated with admin, religion and commerce clustered in or around forum, the chief meeting and trading place in town.
What does the forum reveal?
the inscriptions in forum provide evidence of local identities and magistrates, as well as revealing the Pompeians' rel/ship with Rome.
What does the forum look like?
ppl cover forum walls, esp. basilica, with painted notices in vivid colours and large letter to draw attention.
large rectangular blocks in ground to prevent wheeled traffic.
Forum at H?
still buried under town of Resina
What were the 2 forums at P?
- triangular forum
- main forum
Basilica how many entrances and where did judicial tribunal sit?
5 entrances from the Forum and sat at rear to be separate from commercial dealings
What was the large theatre used for?
- performances in open air in daylight
- velarium to shade audiences
- greek and roman plays performed