Flashcards in RAF Regiment Weapons Deck (32):
Name 3 Personal Weapons/Small Arms
• Glock 17
• L85-A2 Rifle
• L86 Light Support Weapon (LSW)
Glock 17 details?
• Self loading pistol
• Standard NATO 9mm round fitted with a magazine of 17 rounds
Glock 17 can be drawn and accurately fired within how many seconds?
What is the Glock 17's maximum range?
What is the Glock 17's effective range?
How does the Regiment use the Glock 17?
As a secondary weapon whilst on patrol or, as a primary weapon where space is restricted, e.g. driving duties
What weapon is the L85-A2 Rifle and improved version of?
The original 5.56mm SA80 rifle which came into service in 1986
L85-A2 Rifle details?
• Magazine capacity of 30 rounds
• Can be fired as single shots or bursts
L85-A2 Rifle range?
• Provides quick and accurate fire at short range opportunity targets
• Individually= highly accurate- deliberate fire up to 300m and up to 600m as a section weapon
How can the L85-A2 Rifle be sighted?
Using the standard iron sight or the SUSAT
Name 7 Support Weapons
• Minimi Light Machine Gun (LMG)
• General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG)
• L96 Sniper
• L115A1 Sniper Rifle
• Underslung Grenade Launcher (UGL)
• 81mm Mortar
• Javelin Anit-Tank Weapon
Minimi Light Machine Gun (LMG) details?
• Fully automatic
• Belt or magazine fed
• Gas operated
• Capable of sustained high volumes of accurate fire in bursts
What is the Minimi Light Machine Gun (LMG) equipped with?
Regiment is equipped with the Para version- has a retractable stock and uses the LMG without the optional SUSAT, employing the iron sights
Minimi Light Machine Gun (LMG) ammunition?
Ammunition comes in either soft pouches containing belted rounds of 200 or the weapon can fire the standard magazine used by the L85 and L86
General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) details?
• Firm favourite with the Regiment since its introduction in 1906 due to its battle proven reliability, accuracy and fire power
• Gas operated
• Belt fed
• Air cooled
• Fully automatic
• Bipod and iron sights for use in the light role
The General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) provides RAF Regt units with?
High volumes of sustained burst fire at Section, Flight and Squadron level up to 800m
When was the L96 Sniper Rifle brought into service?
What is the L96 Sniper Rifle capable of?
First round hits out to 600m and harassing fire out to 1100m
L96 Sniper Rifle ammunition?
Standard NATO 7.62 round fed from a 10 round capacity magazine
(single shot, bolt action rifle with integral bipod)
L96 Sniper Rifle sighting system details?
Recently upgraded with a new x3-x12 x 50 sight
What is the L115A1 Sniper Rifle used for?
The L115A1 Long Range Rifle (LRR) is used by the RAF Regt to engage targets at extremely long ranges
L115A1 Sniper Rifle maximum range?
The .338 round is heavier than the 7.62mm round of the L96 and less likely do be selected over the maximum range
The L115A1 Sniper Rifle is fitted with?
• A 5 round box magazine
• a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 PM II telescopic sight
What is the Underslung Grenade Launcher (UGL) fitted to?
The L85 rifle
Underslung Grenade Launcher (UGL) details?
• A single shot weapon
• Side breech loading action talking a 40mm High Explosive round
Underslung Grenade Launcher (UGL) targets?
UGL produces accurate point fire at targets up to 150m, and area fire targets up to 350m
Underslung Grenade Launcher (UGL) sighting system?
A ladder sixth mounted onto the left of the weapon
81mm Mortar range?
Delivers High Explosive (HE) smoke or illuminating rounds out to a range of 5650m
81mm Mortar is found on?
The Support Weapons Flight of an RAF Regt Sqn and provides a Sqn with its own indirect fire support
What is a Javelin Anit-Tank Weapon?
A man-portable antitank missile using an imaging infrared "fire-and-forget" system
What does the Javelin Anit-Tank Weapon attack?
The topside of a rank and can defeat any known enemy armour