Flashcards in Relationships & Families Deck (12):
What is the model family in the bible ?
The mother , father and children
What do Christians believe the parents should do ?
- provide a place to nurture and disciplining of children
- respect their children , children should respect them back
- provides a place where children can be brought up , with christian values / understanding of faith
What does ‘ fidelity ‘ mean ?
A married couple are faithful and committed to on another
- they should not have affairs
- shouldn’t break the seventh commandment ( don’t commit adultery )
Which denominations believe that marriage should only happen between a woman and a man ?
- Catholic Church
- Anglican Church
- Methodist Church
What do Christians believe about the vows made during marriage ?
The vows aren’t just between the man and woman they are between the couple and God
What are the three strands of chord ?
The married couple and God
What are church of England’s attitudes towards the importance and purpose of marriage ?
- learn to love one another over the course of their lives
- marriage should reflect Christ’s love towards the church
- shouldn’t be selfish and should consider each other’s needs
- important because relationships are developed + love is extended
- learn patience and forgiveness
What do Church of England believe are the three blessings from marriage ?
- creation and nature of children
- correct place for sexual relations
- help and comfort through all aspect of life
What are catholic church’s attitudes towards the importance and purpose of marriage ?
- marriage creates a unique and unbreakable bond between couple
- marriage reveals God’s unconditional love
- as a sacrament, God brings a grace in a couple
- God’s grace help couples be faithful to one another and good parents to their children
- couple should place themselves in God’s care
What are the Christian practices in a Catholic Church marriage ?
- both couples should be baptised before they marry to be sacramental
- includes a special ‘ nuptial ‘ mass
- saying of the vows / following of the liturgy help them direct their thoughts to God
What is ‘ disparity of cult ‘ ?
getting special permission ( usually from bishop ) to marry a non-christian who’s not baptised