Flashcards in Sake Deck (11)
How does the word sake differ between Japanese and English?
In Japan, it is a term used for all alcoholic beverage. However, in America, it is a term used for an alcoholic beverage made from fermented rice
What is MPF?
It is Multiple Parallel Fermentation
Why is MPF important to sake production?
In the production of Sake, the starch created by the rice must become sugar, and that sugar must become alcohol. These processes generally happen at the same time
What is Koji-Kin?
It is a mold cultivated from rice, known as aspergillus oryzae
What strain of rice is viewed as superior by many when it comes to the production of Sake
What is the name/term used for the starchy heart of the rice grain?
What are the five elements of Sake production?
Water makes up what percent of Sake?
What is the name for the head brewer(s)?
What is the process of sake production?
1. The rice is washed and steam cooked
2. The rice is then mixed with yeast and Koji
3. The mixture is allowed to ferment, with more rice, koji and water added in 3 batches over 4 days
4. The mash then sits together for 18 to 32 days
5. Finally it is pressed, filtered, and then blended