Flashcards in Security Deck (33):
What is the most secure passwords made from?
A combination of random uppercase letters, lowercase letters, special characters, and numbers
What does OS X provide to help check the strength of a password?
What are password methods are provided by Password Assistant?
3) Letters & Numbers
4) Numbers Only
6) FIPS-181 compliant
What does the Manual password setting do?
Password Assistant reports the robustness of that password on a Quality bar.
What does the Memorable password setting do?
The user can adjust the password's length setting and Password Assistant generates passwords from a dictionary word and some random characters.
What does the Letters & Number password settings do?
User can adjust password length and Password Assistant generates a password with a combination of letters and numbers.
What does the Numbers Only password setting do?
The user can adjust the password length and Password Assistant generates passwords containing numbers only.
What does the Random password setting do?
The user can adjust the password length and Password Assistant generates passwords containing random characters.
What does the FIPS-181 compliant password setting do?
The user can adjust the password length and Password Assistant generates a password that is FIPS-181 compliant.
What are the steps to use Password Assistant to create a password?
1) Apple Menu/ System Preferences/ Users & Groups/ Change Password
2) Click the Key button to the right of the New Password field.
**This will open Password Assistant
3) Choose the desired setting from the Type drop down menu
4) Click change password button
What are the steps to Lock the Computer Screen?
1) Apple Menu/ System Preferences/ Security & Privacy/ Click General Tab
2) check box for "Required password.... after sleep or screen saver begins."
What are the steps to Disable Automatic Login?
1) Apple menu/ System Preferences/ Users & Groups
2) Unlock the lock (Admin name and password)
3) Login Options
4) Choose Off from the "Automatic login" pop-up menu
Why is it important to turn off Automatic login?
Anyone can access your Mac simply by restarting it.
Why is it important to set a firmware password?
Prevents unauthorized boot devices from bypassing the OS-level security.
What does FileVault 2 do?
Encrypts the information on the hard drive from being read unless the login password is entered.
What type of disk encryption is used in OS X?
Government-approved Advanced Encryption Standard with 128-bit keys **AES-128**
What is another way to gain access to a computer is FileVault has been activated?
The user can use the recovery key set by FileVault if the Admin password is forgotten.
What happens if other users are not enabled in FileVault?
They require an administrator password.
What are the steps to set up FileVault?
1) Apple menu/ System Preferences/ Security & Privacy/ click File Vault
2) Unlock the lock icon
3) Click Turn On FileVault
4) To enable users click Enable User and input their passwords/ click OK
5) Click Continue when done enabling user accounts/ dialog box shows recovery key
6) Copy recovery key and store it in a safe place/ click Continue
7) Choose to add safeguard by storing recovery key with Apple. To retrieve contact Apple Support and answer three select questions.
8) Click Continue
9) Click restart **Computer can be used during encryption**
What does a firmware password prevent?
Unauthorized users from booting your Mac from an external hard disk, optical disc, or USB flash drive.
What are the steps to set a firmware password?
1) Restart the computer and hold down Command-R to start up using the Recovery HD partition.
2) When the OS X Utilities window appears/ click Utilities/ Firmware Password Utility
3) Click Turn On Firmware Password
4) Enter and Verify Password
5) Set Password
6) Quit Firmware Password Utility
How can you test to see if the firmware password is set?
Attempt to start up in single-user mode, if a lock icon with a password field is displayed after holding the Option key it is set.
How does a use reset a lost firmware password on later-model computers? (2010 later Macbook Air and 2011 and later MacBook Pros and mid-2011 and later iMac and a MacBook Pro w/ retina?
Take it to a Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
How do users reset firmware passwords on earlier comuters?
1) Shut down the Mac
2) Change the memory configuration by adding or removing RAM
3) Start the MAc
4) Shut down the Mac again
5) Return the RAM to its original configuration.
6) Start the Mac
What multilayered system is offered on the Macs?
What is automatic security features are include with a Mac?
What is Gatekeeper?
It allows the download of safe apps from the App store or from a certified software developer. (This option can be turned off to allow any type of download to take place.)
What are the three choice to choose in gatekeeper?
Mac App Store
Mac App Store and identified developers
What does the OS X firewall do?
Blocks unwanted incoming connections to your computer and protects the services on your computer form other computers on the network or interne.
What are the steps to turn on the OS X firewall?
1) Apple menu/ System Preferences/ Security & Privacy/ Click Firewall
2) Unlock the lock icon
3)Click Turn on Firewall
What are the steps to configure advanced firewall options?
1) Security & Privacy/ Firewall tab/ Firewall Options
2) Select one of three
- Block all incoming connections
- Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections
- Enable stealth mode
3) Click OK
What does OS X support regarding VPN?
1) L2TP Over IPSec
3) Cisco IPSec