Flashcards in Session 7 Deck (18):
What involves preventing disease and injury by reducing exposure or levels of a risk factor (e.g. immunizations, community water fluoridation, sealants)?
What involves identifying and controlling disease processes in their early stages, often before signs or symptoms are apparent (e.g. periodic exams, radiographs)?
What involves preventing disability by returning individuals to their optimal level of functioning after damage has occurred (e.g. crowns, implants, dentures)?
True or False? Policymakers and the public often think of oral health disparities as less important than other care issues/needs.
What held the charge, "define, describe, and evaluate the interaction between oral health and well-being [quality of life] through the lifespan in the context of changes in society?
Surgeon General's Report titled Oral Health in America
What were the five major findings of the Surgeon General's Report?
- Oral diseases and disorders affect health and well-being throughout life
- Safe and effective measures exist to prevent the most common dental diseases
- Lifestyle behaviors that affect general health affect oral and craniofacial health, as well
- There are profound and consequential oral health disparities within the United States
- More information is needed to improve America’s oral health and eliminate health disparities
What are the 6 factors of personal health care?
What are the 6 factors of public health care?
What type of health care maximizes best outcomes?
What type of health care minimizes worst outcomes?
What type of health care has goals based on patient?
What type of health care has goals driven socially?
What type of health care works for profit in solo-practice or small groups?
What type of health care works for salary in groups or organizations?
What are the administration (non-clinical) careers in DPH?
- State or regional dental director
- Program director
What are the academic/research (non-clinical) careers in DPH?
- Faculty member
- Federal or local government
- Research organizations
What are the U.S. Public Health Service careers in DPH?
- Bureau of Prisons (federal)
- U.S. Coast Guard
- Indian Health Service