Flashcards in SOPM Deck (56):
When is a static TO not recommended?
30kt crosswind, due to engine compressor stall possibility.
Can you TO/LAND with a FUEL IMBALANCE EICAS message?
yes, as long as an actual imbalance does not exceed 794lbs.
Are we allowed to utilize RNP / RNAV(gps) LP minima?
Not authorized... but coming
What briefings must be completed every flight leg?
1. All flights:
- MX items
- time: taxi, flight, delays
- altitude: turbulence
- WX: diversion
2. Takeoff WANT
3. Approach WANT
When must we use SMGCS procedures?
- Visibilty less than RVR 1,200
- review SMGCS low visibility taxi route chart, when published
When must we use Autopilot?
- above fl200
- outlined by MEL/QRH
Is it possible to overspeed the flaps using speed intervention?
What are the required items that must be onboard and checked prior to departure?
* - items
4. Registration Cert.
5. Airworthiness cert
6. Fleet Radio License. (FCC)
When do yo select MFD on the reversionary panel?
- display units 2 and 4 configured as PFD's.
- select MFD, then auto.. 8 seconds
When must we turn on ADSP heat?
1. FFOD: OAT below 0°F (18°c)
2. EICAS messages:
- AFCS fault
- fail: AT, AP, FD, YD
- APPR 2 Not Avail
- ADS messages
What stops a HPBIT from running?
- interruption or;
- reservoir temps below +10°c
- turn on ADSP heater 3 min
- complete hydraulic warmup
- power down
- power back up
When must a Cold WX Preflight inspection be performed?
1. OAT <5°c
2. Wing fuel temp <0°c
3. Icing conditions
4. RON w/freezing conditions
5. Residual ice from inbound
6. Cold soaked fuel tank
When is the Originating checklist required to be performed?
2. Crew change
3. Plane swap
4. AC swap
5. AC left unattended
6. MX performed
What is the only required FFOD originating item?
- Cockpit door control
When do we conduct the Before Start Checklist "to the line?"
1. Fueling complete
2. ATC clearance
3. To the Line flows complete
When do we complete the "Below the line?"
- manifest complete/TO DATA computer
- flows compete
- FA report: 👍🏻"ready to taxi"
- All doors closed
What must we ensure if performing a static engine start?
- parking brake set
What happens if you get a BRK LH (RH) FAULT or FAIL during pushback?
- pushback >5kts
- automatically disarms autobrake
- EICAS message
- until: wheels speed less than 5kts
- or: HYD systems pressurized
-tell push-crew to slow down
What MUST we ensure prior to pushback?
- Nosewhell steering OFF
When may an engine start be delayed?
- contaminated ramp: traction compromised
- start engine when pushback complete
What must be verified after 2nd engine start?
N1 target value: EICAS
- no less than 0
- no more than .5%
Variation could be caused by a disagreement between OAT and calculated ACARS/release N1. Sensed by the engines or mechanical problem
- reduce TO flex temp
- update TO performance data w/current temp
- contact dispatch
- Don't TO off if unable to correct parameters
When might you receive a LOAD SHED message while on the ground?
- might be taxiing to close behind another AC
- 1 AC source (SE)
- IAS above 50kts
- sheds galley light and CA windshield heat
You receive a STEER FAIL EICAS prior to taxiing. What do you do?
- Consider SOPM RESET procedure:
*Only used Once per leg
* Parking brake must be SET
1. Press and hold Steer Disc Switch
2. Press and release nose wheel steering handle
3. Release Steering Disc Switch
- Message is a NUISANCE If FAULT clears.
- If not: must Contact MX control and write up.
What must be done operating on the ground for more than 30min in icing conditions, or an increased fan vibe due to ice?
- Set 54% N1 for 30 seconds or until fan vibe returns to normal.. Taxiing or TO
- based on taxi conditions, contamination and concentration.
What TO method do we use when departing with a tailwind of 11-15kts?
- apply brakes
- AT Disarmed
- Set 60% N1
- release brakes, arm A/T
- advance thrust levers to TOGA before 60kts.
Whats the purpose of the 80kt callout speed on TO?
1. Pilot incapacitation
2. airspeed cross-check
When is FLEX thrust prohibited?
1. Contaminated rwys
2. Forecast windshear
3. Specific departure: (SNA)
What landing speed may be use in the event of a return to field scenario with no time to calculate?
What precautions should be taken prior to departure when windshear is suspected?
1. Use max thrust for TO (select windshear)
2. Flaps 1, unless limited for performance
3. delay rotation (V2 higher) for best performance
4. Use longest rwy
5. Turn on Radar (FSBY On)
6. Monitor speed trend prior to V1 to consider RTO
7. Develop awareness and monitor normal airspeed, altitude, and VSI
8. Call out Deviations
How long is Max Takeoff thrust limited?
- 10 minutes after TO
What are the pitch and bank limits during engine failure?
< V2 = V2
V2 - V2+10 = present pitch
> v2+10 = V2+10
V2 = 15º
V2+5 = 20º
V2+10 = 25º
What must we verify: "check Thrust" during engine failure?
- TO-X RSV active engine
- thrust lever MAX
What must we verify after selecting a vertical AFCS mode?
- Climb Thrust
What should be done when in close proximity to adjacent flight level traffic?
- monitor the climb
- reduce VS to 1000 - 1500 ft/min prior to reaching cleared flight level
* this prevents undesired RA events for both AC
What is best angle of climb?
- Provides maximum altitude gain at minimum ground distance.
What is best rate of climb?
- Provides maximum altitude in minimum flight time.
What is the best climb speed for obstacle clearance?
- Vfs until MSA or above
What is the best climb speed for weather conditions?
- Vfs+50 to clear low altitude turbulence
Whats the difference between CLB-1 and CLB-2?
- CLB-1: maximum available climb thrust
- CLB-2: reduced climb thrust at sea level. corresponding to approx 90% of max climb thrust.
What altitude does IAS speed change to Mach #
What is Optimum cruise altitude?
- pressure altitude that gives maximum specific range for a given weight, CG, speed, and air temp
- limited by: ATC, direction of flight, performance (buffet margin)
When does fuel trend monitoring take place?
-at least once every hour after
What equipment must installed and operational to enter RVSM?
2. Either Primary Altimeter system
- within 75' each other and 75' local elev.
3. Altitude capturing and alerting
4. Autopilot (AFCS)
*failure of any of these, deviations greater than 200ft, MEL issue:
- must contact ATC and exit RVSM
What is SKW min holding speed?
- Green Dot
- ICING: 210 or Max endurance (higher)
What must be done for operations in moderate to severe icing?
- Reduce 1 thrust lever at a time towards idle, advance to a minimum of 70% N1 for 10-30sec, then return thrust lever to the position required for flight conditions
- accomplish run up every 15min when fan ice build up suspected
- Ops into Severe icing is prohibited
FAR 14 CFR Part 121.191 require the airplane to be able to clear all terrain by a given margin when an engine fails. What are the 2 means of compliance for enroute obstacle clearance?
- Method 1: The net level-off altitude must clear all enroute obstacles by at least 1000'
- Method 2: Then net flight path must clear all enroute obstacles between the point where the engine is assumed to fail and an airport where a landing can be made by at least 2,000'
What are some rule-of-thumbs for decent planning?
• straight-in approach: 12 miles
• abeam approach: 8 miles
• 30 miles to airport: Fl100, 250kts
• Descent planning:
- altitude change x 3 = distance required
- ground speed x 5 = descent rate required
level: 1nm per 10kt
Descent 1000fpm: 2nm per 10kt
level: (.5)nm per 10kt
descent 1000fpm: 1nm per 10kt
When do we consider landing flaps FULL?
- Field length (short)
- rwy conditions (contamination/slippery)
- STALL PROT ICE speed (w/out actual icing)
- higher landing weight w/short rwy
What are the requirements for LAHSO?
• Discretionary: don't have to accept
- PAPI/VASI: 1000' ceiling, 3sm vis
- No PAPI/VASI: 1,500 ceiling, 5sm vis
- No windshear reported (last 20min)
- Tailwind: 3kt Max
• No Wet Rwy's
• Touchdown in first 3rd (3000') of rwy
• Night: LAHSO lighting operating
• No MEL's limiting
What is a stabilized approach?
- final ldg configuration
- before ldg checklist complete
- airspeed: +15 and -5 of target
- on lateral profile
- on vertical profile
- airspeed within confines of speed bug
- thrust setting above idle
What MUST be verified after changing any flight mode to ensure the correct mode has been selected, armed, or engaged?
While flying a CAT II approach, what would cause a APPR 1 ONLY message on the FMA?
- No valid RA displayed
- No longer APPR 2 capable
- Flaps other than 5 below 800'
- "Slat-Flap lever disage" EICAS message
- No RA mins set (baro mins set)
- LOC freq or course mismatch
What is the coupled Go-around height loss?
- operation of AP below 50' is prohibited
What are the CAT II wind limitations?
• No limitations
- Headwind: 25kt
- tailwind: 10kt
- crosswind: 12kt
What should be the max descent rate on touchdown during an overweight landing?
- 300 fpm
- emergency declaration no required