Flashcards in Specialized Tissues, Stem Cells And Tissue Renewal II Deck (22):
Apical vs Basal End
- Has specialized structures that detects the EXTERNAL Stimulus
- Converts into a change in membrane potential
- Makes SNAPSE with the neurons that relay the sensory information to specific sites in the brain
What system has the LEAST capacity to Self repair or regenerate?
Characteristics of Sensory Epithelia
- Covers tissues of the nose, ears and eyes (sensory)
- Derived from ECTODERM
- sensory cells act as TRANSDUCERS
(Convert signal from envt into ELECTRICAL signals to the CNS)
- Well CONSERVED
Relay stations in the brain are called what?
Cells of the olfactory system
1. Olfactory neurons
- With protruding Cilia
2. Supporting cells
- hold neurons in place
3. Basal Cells
- Connect to Basal Lamina
Olfaction in Neurodegenerative Disorders
- Reduced sense of smell precedes clinical symptoms
- Correlates to a loss of smell
How many days does it take for a Newt to regenerate a limb?
Average Glomeruli per olfactory bulb in mice?
Sensory cells of the
1. Olfactory sensory Neurons
2. Auditory HAIR cells
Where do olfactory neurons expressing the same odorant receptors converge?
Their AXONS converge on the SAME Glomerulus
Regeneration is common in ______organisms
- Ex: Newt
Regeneration of Newt Limb
- Differentiated muscle cells in the stump REENTER the Cell Cycle
- Become Embryonic cells
- Proliferate to form a Limb Bud
- Regenerate mussing limb
Differential abilities of Neuro-spheres
1. Can stay as stem cells
2. Differentiate into Neurons
3. Differentiate into BOTH Neurons and Glial cells
Stem Cells in Hippocampus
- Involved in learning and MEMORY formation
- Continuous turnover of cells in the hippocampus
- 1400 fresh neurons are generated every day
Odorant receptor genes: Dogs Vs Humans
Dogs - 1000
Human - 350
T/F: Each olfactory Neuron expresses only ONE of the odorant genes and responds to only ONE class of Odorant
What areas of the brain posses stem cells?
1. Ventricles of the forebrain
How long do individual olfactory neurons survive?
What kind of receptor is a olfactory receptor
G protein Coupled Receptor
How many classes of oderant molecules can an olfactory receptor bind?
- May include a variety of odor molecules
Influx of what causes an action potential in the nose?
Na+ And Ca2+