Flashcards in TBL26 - Palate Deck (7):
What does fusion of the medial nasal prominences create?
Fusion of the medial nasal prominences creates the intermaxillary segment, which forms the primary (anterior) palate and central portions of the maxilla and upper lip
Posterosuperior to the primary palate, what creates the nasal cavities and intervening nasal septum?
Posterosuperior to the primary palate, deeper penetration of the nasal pits into the mesenchyme of the frontonasal prominence creates the nasal cavities and intervening nasal septum
What are palatine shelves and what do they fuse with? What does fusion of the palatine processes form? What forms the incisive foramen?
1) Outgrowths from the maxillary prominences designated palatine shelves (processes) fuse with each other and the nasal septum
2) Fusion of the palatine processes of the maxilla forms the secondary (posterior) palate
3) The midline between the primary and secondary palates forms the incisive foramen
What is the dividing landmark between anterior and posterior cleft palate deformities and how do severities of anterior clefts vary?
1) Incisive foramen is the dividing line
2) Either get a cleft lip with/without palate cleft
What do the horizontal plates of the palatine bone unite postnatally with and what does this complete? What do the vertical plates of the palatine bone contribute to? In the posterior extent of the hard palate, recognize the greater and lesser palatine foramina.
1) The horizontal plates of the palatine bone unite postnatally with the secondary palate to complete formation of the posterior hard palate
2) The vertical plates of the palatine bone contribute to the lateral walls of the nasal cavity
What makes up the muscular posterior third of the palate? What are the greater and lesser palatine nerves branches of? What do they traverse and what do they innervate?
1) The soft palate is the muscular posterior third of the palate
2) The greater and lesser palatine nerves are sensory branches of CN V2
3) They traverse the greater and lesser palatine foramina to supply the mucosae of the hard palate and soft palate, respectively