Flashcards in test 37- types of illness Deck (10):
- a (1) *dating from birth* disease may be (2) *passed down from parents to offspring* or may be the result of damage to the (3) *unborn baby*
- (4) *physical damage* may be the result surgical operations, accidents, excessive temperatures, radiation or (5) *destructive* chemicals.
- mechanical (6) *faults* lead to the (7) *blocking* of tubes or vessels.
- an infection or (8) *invasion* of living organisms may be the cause of disease.
- these living organisms include bacteria, viruses, (9) *worm-like parasites* , fungi or animal parasites.
- some of these diseases are (10) *spread easily between people* and the result may be a (11) *large number of people suffering the disease*
- it's possible to have a (12) *person with the disease but no symptoms*
- some diseases may be (13) *passed on by touching*
- most tumours are (14) *new growths*
- some of these are (15) *mild and self-limiting* , while others are (16) *cancerous and spread*
- a (17) *wearing out* disease happens when tissue loses its normal function.
- there may be (18) *insufficient blood supply to an organ* which may result in infarction and subsequent (19) *death of the tissue*
- if biochemical reactions in the body are upset, the result may be a (20) *chemical conversion* disease.
- one possible cause is an excess or (21) *shortage* of certain nutrients in the diet.
- problems in the body's complex defence mechanism can lead to (22) *defence mechanism* disease.
- one possible cause is a (23) *hypersensitive* reaction to an (24) *external substance* which to most people is harmless.