Flashcards in Testicular torsion Deck (8)
what happens in testicular torsion?
- torsion of spermatic cord in a congenitally abnormal testis (often maldescended)
what happens when testicular torsion goes untreated?
- testis undergoes irreversible infarction within few hours
what are the usual precipitants of testicular torsion?
what would be the usual history of a pt with testicular torsion?
- history of mild trauma to testis or previous attacks of pain in testis due to partial torsion
- sudden pain in groin and lower abdo
- often accompanied by vomiting
why do you get abdominal pain in torsion?
- nerve supply of testis is mainly from T10 sympathetic pathway
what would examination show?
- swollen testis
- painful to touch
- lying high in scrotum
what are the possible DDx?
- acute epididymitis
- torsion of a testicular appendage