Flashcards in The narrative and control of information Deck (6)
Does T.T.H. conform to Todorov's theory of narrative?
What has been 'hidden' from the spectator during the film within a film shrinking lover scene?
- Alicia being raped by Benigno
What other events take place off-screen elsewhere in the film?
- Lydia's death
- Alicia coming out of her comma and her failed birth
- Benigno being arrested
- Alicia's accident
- Benigno's trial
- Lydia and El Nino getting back together
Does the audience know whether Benigno has raped Alicia or not? How and why?
- We can infer it, as we draw similarities between both Alicia and Amparo
- Lava lamp - menstrual blood
How does Almodovar's use of particular narrative techniques link to the overall theme of the film?
- Silent film, inter-cutting between the hospital and the silent film, also supports the theme of communication which verbally is absent in this scene.
-Impossible love, Alicia cannot give consent, just as Amparo is asleep whilst Alfredo performs his act upon her.