Flashcards in The psycho-dynamic approach Deck (14):
What is the PD approach?
- Based on dynamic that operate on mind - Direct behaviour & experience
- Part of mind we are aware off. Tip of IB.
- Thoughts & Memories not aware off, but can be accessed.
- Most of mind.
- Unaware of contents
- Storehouse of biological & psychological drives/instincts
The structure of personality is..
- Primitive part of personality.
- Pleasure principle - Instant gratification
- Reality Principle
- Mediator between ID & SUPERGO - DEFENSE MECHANISMS
- 2 years
- Mortality Principle
- Internalised sense of right/wrong
- Punish ego via guilt
- Phallic stage
What are the psycho-sexual stages
5 stages - DETERMINES CHILD'S DEVELOPMENT
Explain the psychosexual stages & how it leads to fixation?
- Each stage - different conflict.
- Resolved to move to next stage
- Unresolved - Fixation
The 5 psychosexual stages are:
- Oral (0-1Y), Anal (1-3Y), Phallic (3-5Y), Latency, Genital
Oedipus Complex/Penis Envy
Phallic stage.Boys develop incestuous feelings towards mother Hatred for father.Boys develop repress feelings for mother, identify with their father - gender role/moral value. Girls - Penis envy.
What are Defense Mechanisms?
- Unconscious strategies used by ego to balance id/supergo. Reduce anxiety