Flashcards in The Tibiofemoral joint and Patellofemoral joint (knee) Deck (17):
Tibio femoral joint is a modified _____ joint that is primarily capable of ______ and ______.
hinge (comprised of side by side condyloid joints), flexion, extension.
The actual movements at the tibiofemoral joint may be thought of as a combination of ______ and ______.
rolling and sliding
Screw home mechanism, the locking and unlocking of the knee.
1. During open chain extension of the knee movement the tibia will slightly ER and IR during flexion of the knee. During closed chained extension the femur will IR and ER during flexion.
2. Once knee is extended and screwed home, little quadriceps action is required to stabilize the joint. Very efficient means of achieving joint stability.
Primary function of the knee
1. Provide stable support to the lower extremity.
2. provide mobility at the joint
***a balance must be struck between stability and mobility.
Tibia ER locking out
Which femoral condyle is more prominent?
The fibula bears little weight but is important for...
Femur IR locking out
Name 3 functions of the patella
1. protects inside of knee
2. maintains mechanical advantage as knee is extended
3. Coalesces 4 lines of pull into one
How many menisci are there in one knee?
two medial and lateral semilunar fibrocartilaginous disks
The medial meniscus are what shape?
The lateral meniscus are what shape?
Medial meniscus = C shaped
Lateral meniscus = O shaped
They deepen the tibial plateaus thus increasing joint integrity and absorbs shock when walking/running.
The menisci are ______ around the periphery and ______ at the center of the joint.
At the periphery, the menisci are attached to the _____ and the ______ ______ ______, but their inner edges are _____ ______, thus free to move.
tibias, synovial joint capsule, not attached
The medial meniscus is securely attached to the ______ ______ ______ and the fascia of the __________. The ______ meniscus, therefore, is less free to move than the ______ meniscus and, consequently is more frequently injured.
medial colateral ligament, semimembranosus, medial, lateral
T/F Cartilage gets a good blood supply and, thus, its regenerative and recuperative capability is high...damaged cartilage heals well.
False, cartilage has a bad blood supply and does not heal well when damaged.