Flashcards in Theories of negotiation and the role of effective communication and negotiation Deck (9)
What do good negotiation skills include?
o an ability to set goals and limits;
o emotional control;
o excellent listening skills;
o excellent verbal communication skills;
o knowledge of when and how to close the negotiation.
What are the TWO categories of negotiation?
What is COMPETITIVE negotiation?
Implies getting best deal regardless of needs and interests of the other party
Can become a battle where winner takes all
Should be avoided but may not always be possible
What is COLLABORATIVE negotiation?
Seeks to create a ‘win-win’ scenario where all parties involved get part or all of what they were looking for from the negotiation
Approach tends to produce best results, helps build long-term relationships and minimises opportunity for conflict
What are the SIX phases of negotiation?
1. Planning: prepare by gathering as much info as possible. Set goals and ensure they accord with agreed tolerances
2. Discussing: open negotiations by setting the scene, then explore and discuss key issues.
3. Proposing: Make a proposal. Communicate clearly and openly
4. Bargaining: Be prepared for trade-offs;
5. Agreement: take a written record;
6. Review: outcome needs to be communicated to all parties and the consequences incorporated within the management plan
Talk me through how you would go about negotiating something?
Firstly, I would prepare as understanding the other party’s points fully is critical
Secondly, I would pre-determine what I can afford to give away, know my bottom line
Focus on the bigger picture, don’t get stuck on one item
Try to negotiate a win/win situation
Never accept the first offer
Finally, I would negotiate the small deals before the big ones
How would you prepare for a negotiation?
I will always familiarise myself before the negotiation with what is being negotiated
This will allow me to better understand my own argument, help me to pre-empt their argument/responses and allow me to better portray my point
What is communication?
The means by which information or instructions are exchanged
Successful communication occurs when the received meaning is the same as the transmitted meaning